Four-star running back commits to USC

With National Signing Day fast approaching, USC picked up another commitment Sunday for their impressive 2011 class from running back Amir Carlisle (Sunnyval, Calif.).

“Amir is going to USC,” his father Duane said in a text message to Scout West Recruiting Analyst Brandon Huffman, according to Scout.com.

The four-star running back prospect, according to Rivals.com, had previously been committed to Stanford, but switched to USC after making an unofficial visit to campus this weekend. Not only did USC take away a commit from a Pac-10 rival, but it also added its only running back for the 2011 class. Ranked by Scout.com as the 16th best player at his position, Carlisle measures 5’11.5” and weighs 190 pounds.

Recruiting analyst Brandon Huffman has compared him to former California standout Jahvid Best, who was known for his speed and breakaway ability. Carlisle runs a 4.43 40-yard dash and can catch passes well coming out of the backfield, which will make him a two-dimensional threat for the Trojans. He does not, however, have the kind of power and strength to pound the ball up the middle, but he is extremely dangerous in the open field and can change direction on a dime. Most importantly, Carlisle has incredible balance and can sustain contact while still staying on his feet, which could translate into big plays.

The Trojans currently have sixteen commitments for their 2011 class.