Spring brings renewal

Some students arrived back on campus last week with their entire semester already planned, while others had no idea what the spring might hold in store for them.

For most, the spring semester represents a fresh start. Any tedious classes or unforgiving schedules from the fall are now in the past, and students have the chance to take advantage of new opportunities.

The start of a new semester should be a time to build upon last semester’s successes and learn from its failures. Especially for students in their first year at USC, having a semester of experience under their belts should make the spring even better.

One of the most effective ways to take on the new semester is to try something new. Sign up for a spin class at the Lyon Center, strike up a conversation with a fellow Trojan at the Campus Center, or spend a day in a different part of Los Angeles.

Most importantly, get involved in something.

Extracurricular activities are an important part of the overall experience. They provide an opportunity to meet people who share a common interest.

Join a club sport or get involved with a service organization. No matter what your interests are, there’s probably a student group that would be a great fit, and if there’s not, then you can start one of your own.

But joining a group on campus isn’t the only way to take advantage of the new semester. Start looking for jobs or internships that might interest you and will provide the perfect opportunity to gain experience and exposure to a particular industry.

Challenge yourself to achieve something new in the spring, no matter how big or how small.

The new semester can be much more than just a change in classes. Take advantage of it, and don’t be afraid to embrace spontaneity in your decisions. That one small choice to do something a little differently could end up making your semester even more successful.

Jared Servantez is a freshman majoring in print and digital journalism.