Former USC defensive end tased, arrested

Former USC defensive end Everson Griffen was tased and apprehended by LAPD after assaulting an officer at a traffic stop near USC’s campus at around 4 p.m. Monday.

Police officers were performing a routine traffic stop at the intersection of 30th and Hoover Streets when they pulled Griffen over.

He did not have a valid ID on him and became aggressive when questioned by officers, according to an LAPD spokesperson. Griffen attempted to run away and then assaulted one of the officers who was pursuing him.

The officers tased Griffen, then arrested him on a charge of felony battery.

Griffen, who was selected by the Minnesota Vikings with the 100th overall pick in last April’s NFL Draft, had been on campus earlier in the day to visit coaches and players.

As a junior, Griffen recorded 45 tackles for the Trojans before giving up his final season of eligibility to declare for the draft.

During his first season with the Vikings, the former five-star recruited appeared in 11 games, recording 11 tackles. Minnesota finished just 6-10 overall.

Monday was not Griffen’s first run-in with the law.

On July 4, 2009, Griffen, along with former USC linebacker Jordan Campbell, was cited by the Nantucket Police Department for a noise violation at a party.

Neither Griffen nor Campbell was reprimanded by the university. They were, however, asked to write letters of apology.

1. Rich Salas
    Rich Salas says:

why did he run? was he drinking, had drugs on him. He need to make better decisions in tight situations. Now he is just in worse trouble.

2. Robert Wade
    Robert Wade says:

Somethings just never seem to change. They just have to learn the hard way. Somehow, I don’t think this will be the last time he makes the wrong choice with law enforcement.