The WGA and ADG awards lead up to the Academy Awards

As awards season slowly leads to the cherry on top on Feb. 27, the Academy Awards, the WGA and ADG Awards, both held Feb. 5, show that nothing is certain until it happens.

Saturday night in the Renaissance Hollywood Hotel’s grand ballroom, Christopher Nolan’s psychological fantasy, Inception won the Writers Guild of America award for best original screenplay.

After going through a dry spell, Inception beat out favorites The Fighter and The Kids Are All Right which are also nominated for an Academy Award in the same category.

Photo courtesy of The Academy of Motion Picture Arts and Sciences

Although The King’s Speech is nominated for 12 Academy Awards, including best Original Screenplay, it failed to be nominated for the WGA award because it didn’t meet certain union requirements.

Award season favorite, Aaron Sorkin’s The Social Network based on Ben Mezrich’s book The Accidental Billionaires, won the trophy for best-adapted screenplay.

Across town that same night, at the Beverly Hilton Hotel, Paula Poundstone and production designer Eve Stewart hosted the 15th annual Art Directors Guild’s Excellence in Production Design Awards.

Contemporary feature Black Swan, fantasy feature Inception and period feature The King’s Speech divvied up the awards for feature films.

Although Therese DePrez’s work for the ballet thriller, Black Swan is not nominated for a corresponding Academy Award, both Inception and The King’s Speech are, along with Alice in Wonderland, Harry Potter and True Grit.

With only three more weeks to go until the climatic Academy Awards, the question is who will win the coveted gold statuette, the favorites or the sleepers?

Click here for a complete list of WGA award winners and here for a complete list of ADG award winners.