USC comes up short against VCU

There was a lot of joy in the room when it was announced on Sunday that USC was one of the 68 teams to make the NCAA tournament.

The Trojans (19-15, 10-8), however, seemed satisfied simply playing in the postseason, getting outhustled on both ends of the court in the 59-46 loss to Virginia Commonwealth University on Wednesday in the “First Four” or first round of the NCAA tournament.

The Rams (24-11, 12-6) had 17 offensive rebounds compared to five for USC, resulting in a 21-8 advantage on second chance points. The Trojans also committed six more turnovers than VCU, causing the Rams to score 19 points off turnovers versus eight for USC.

“We did not play well,” said USC coach Kevin O’Neill. “Sometimes you have it, and sometimes you do not.”

VCU advances to the second round of the NCAA Tournament, which was previously known as the opening round of 64 prior to expansion, to play against sixth-seeded Georgetown on Friday.

The Rams, who came into the game averaging 71.5 points, wanted to play up-tempo basketball, while the Trojans, who started the night 13-0 when holding opponents to under 60 points, looked to slow the pace of the game.

Both teams found it difficult to score early.

It took USC more than six minutes to make its second field goal of the game. VCU also struggled early, only converting one of its first eight shot attempts.

By halftime, the score was tied at only 22 points.

“We had the tempo we wanted in the first half,” O’Neill said.

The Trojans did not come out of the locker room shooting much better in the second half. USC needed almost five minutes to make its second field goal of the final half.

VCU, on the other hand, opened the second half scoring its first 12 points on three-point baskets. The Rams used a 9-0 run to extend their lead to 37-29.

USC battled back, and after VCU committed an intentional foul on a lay-up by senior guard Donte Smith, the Trojans reduced the Rams’ advantage to one point at 44-43.

The Trojans failed to regain the lead, however, as VCU ended the game on a 15-3 run.

USC did not make a field goal the final nine minutes and 20 seconds of the night.

The Trojans did not shoot well the entire game, only making 1-of-9 three-point attempts, and 15-of-25 from the free throw line.

“We were not good offensively,” O’Neill said. “We did not get into any kind of tempo offensively.”

Junior guard Jio Fontan, senior guard Marcus Simmons, and junior forward Nikola Vucevic fouled out of the game, forcing O’Neill to play freshman forward Garrett Jackson for the first time down the stretch. Senior forward Alex Stepheson was also called for four fouls.

Fontan led the Trojans with 14 points.

Vucevic had 11 points and a game-high 14 rebounds, but USC struggled to get him the ball in the post, resulting in only five field goal attempts for the Trojans’ leading scorer.

No other USC player scored in double figures.

“Hopefully we will grow from this,” O’Neill said. “I think we had a great year in a lot of ways, but it just did not happen for us tonight.”