MxPx Performs Rare Show in Seattle

In July, 2010 MxPx announced the retirement of founding member and drummer Yuri Ruley and the ceasing of its extensive touring schedule.

Mike Herrera of MxPx. Photo by Nick Mindicino

The show marked only the third time that Mike Herrera (vocals/bass), Tom Wisniewski (guitar/background vocals) and Ruley had performed together as MxPx since the July announcement.

Make no mistake, though, the band has not broken up and already has plans to release a new full-length album by the end of 2011. Simply put, they have essentially become a “studio band” who will continue actively putting out new music while not touring the country as Wisniewski and Ruley both have full-time jobs to support their families and Herrera works as a producer and tours the country with his country band, Tumbledown.

The March 26th show  was a very special opportunity for devoted fans who traveled from places like New York, Texas, Calif. and Idaho to see the performance. MxPx blazed through its entire Life in General record, not leaving much time for words in between the seventeen song setlist. After the final song, the crowd clamored for an encore to which the band obliged by playing the live favorite, “Punk Rawk Show.”

After the set, the band members hung around the merchandise table signing posters and shirts for fans while cameras filmed the entire evening’s events, which will likely be included on an upcoming documentary.

MxPx is a veteran band that has been around for 18 years, and while they are slowing down in it is touring duties, its studio work and electrifying live show indicate that the band remains a force to be reckoned with in the music scene.

Mike Herrera will be doing a solo tour of the East Coast in late April before returning home to write both new MxPx and Tumbledown material.