Peter Bjorn and John tackles life’s issues

Peter Bjorn and John is the “Swedish band that got everybody whistling again,” according to AOL.

Peter Moré, Björn Yttling and John Eriksson have returned to the music world with their latest, cheery album, Gimme Some.

The album features happy vibes with an upbeat, light and airy feel though it also speaks to deeper emotional themes.

The band members’ light-hearted attitude comes across in their biography, posted on the band’s website,  which states, “despite numerous visits to psychics, prophets, wizards and fishmongers, not one person guessed that they would be the authors and performers of the third- most successful song (featuring whistling) of all time.”

Evidently, this trifecta has a splendid sense of humor that it wonderfully captures, in Gimme Some.

Their unique sound is apparent in tracks like  “Tomorrow Has to Wait,” which has a rhythmic drum beat that makes you want to clap along, as well as with the energetic “Lies.”

The song also serves as an emotional confrontation to a deceptive lover.

Front man and lead vocalist Morén repeatedly states, “I don’t think you are sorry for what you did,” as though he has realized the relationship has failed and is calling out his ex-lover for her romantic betrayals.

This simple yet honest outpouring of emotion gives the listener something to connect to.

The complete honesty opens the door for listeners to relate to the artists and cope with their own problems.

If art is a reflection of life, then Peter Bjorn and John are masters at showing the more painful moments in life, but also the ability to overcome these moments, providing fans with the opportunity to overcome their common struggles together.

Dig a Little Deeper,” for instance, delves into romantic woos as it aims to discover the catalysts for the failure of a relationship.

The same attempt at both self-discovery and working though relationships is seen in “Breaker Breaker,” which repeats the line before you break my heart, foreshadowing a failed relationship.

Peter Bjorn and John goes beyond the simple relationship problems that are commonly heard on today’s modern radio.

“Gimme Some” provides much needed relief by delving into other types of pain, exploring personal suffering not induced by a romantic counterpart, but instead by problems engendered by oneself.

Down Like Me,” for example, expresses a defeatist attitude. Morén professes in a seemingly emotionless state, no one brings me down like me, in a monotone narrative that emphasizes a state of nothingness.

Maybe the album artwork serves as an indicator of the enthusiasm and cheerful feelings of the album.

With its three thumbs up, á la Siskel and Ebert, and its colorful design, it radiates positive energy from the very beginning.

In any case, Gimme Some serves as the perfect balance between fun and heartfelt.

For fans of the British rock sensation We Are Scientists, this might be your softer, more indie outlet.

For Ra Ra Riot and The Smiths lovers looking for a similar upbeat enthusiasm, this is the perfect Swedish alternative to check out.

Peter Bjorn and John proves  incredibly refreshing with its unique, retro feeling, which is a welcome respite from the age of Ke$ha and Justin Bieber.

Gimme Some has earned its title as a charismatic, energetic and worthy listen.