Ambles absent from Saturday’s practice

USC practiced at the Los Angeles Memorial Coliseum Saturday morning, but one player was unexpectedly not on the field.

Wide receiver Markeith Ambles was not in attendance, and USC coach Lane Kiffin stated after the practice that Ambles had not told any member of the coaching staff where he was.

“He wasn’t here this morning,” Kiffin told the media after practice. “It went on as normal, so we’ll figure it out.”

Ambles has had difficulty staying out of trouble during his short tenure at USC. He arrived late to a mandatory team weightlifting session last week and was forced to run around Howard Jones Field, the Trojans’ usual practice spot, on Thursday instead of participating in the team’s practice.

Last October, the 19-year old wideout was suspended for two weeks before later leaving the team in November. He decided to rejoin the team in January after contemplating a possible transfer.

Last year, Ambles was one of the most highly regarded receivers who committed to USC. He has, however, yet to live up to the hype, catching just one pass last season – a three-yard completion during the team’s Sept. 25 game at Washington State. That play kept him from having the option of redshirting last season.

Over the past year, the sophomore has served several punishments after arriving late to team functions or not showing up at all. He has had to miss a number of practices and participate in extra conditioning drills.