Lucassen honored for strong play

After battling back from injury to win his most recent match against Arizona, senior Peter Lucassen used his steady performance to secure a spot as this week’s Pac-10 Player of the Week.

Coming on strong · Senior Peter Lucassen has missed time during the season with various injuries, but has played well as of late, including a singles win over Arizona. - Daily Trojan file photo

In a 6-4, 6-3 victory against the Wildcats’ Borja Malo, Lucassen played in just his second match in the last 12 games. His win helped the Trojans grab a 5-0 lead in which they never looked back.

Lucassen’s play helped advance the No. 2 USC men’s tennis team to its 12th consecutive win, compiling an 18-2 overall record. Now, the team is one win away from cliniching a Pac-10 title.

“I love tennis more than anything in the world, and it feels great to finally play again and be a part of the team,” Lucassen said.

Lucassen is in good company as fellow Trojans senior Jaak Poldma, junior Steve Johnson and freshmen Emilio Gomez and Ray Sarmineto have all earned the honor this season with Poldma and Johnson each receiving the award twice.

Lucassen made the 2010 NCAA All-Tournament Team a season ago and has a 12-10 overall singles record.

His last win before Saturday was Feb. 4 against San Diego. Since then, he has battled injuries, including a stress fracture in his foot.

This marks the first time Lucassen has received the honor, but he insists its just good to be back on the court with the Trojans one win away from clinching the Pac-10 title.

“It’s great support from the team, the coaches and all the players that I won this award, but it means more that I’m back on the court and can be there for the team,” Lucassen said.

Lucassen was selected to the 2010 NCAA All-Tournament Team last year and is one of two seniors, along with Johnson, on the USC roster this season.