Sidney Harman, 92, remembered for loyalty

Sidney Harman, a professor and entrepreneur known for his unyielding dedication to students, died Tuesday from complications of acute myeloid leukemia. He was 92.

Remembered · Sidney Harman, the founding chairman of USC’s Academy for Polymathic Study, died Tuesday of acute myeloid leukemia. - Photo courtesy of University Communications

Harman was appointed Presidential Professor and inaugural Isaias W. Hellman Professor of Polymathy at USC in 2010, a designation that reflects his commitment to varied, interdisciplinary learning. He was a founding chairman of USC’s Academy for Polymathic Study, which fosters the pursuit of interdisciplinary work.

But he was perhaps better known for his entrepreneurial endeavors, including his acquisition of Newsweek magazine for $1 last year.

Harman was also a public servant, philanthropist and audio equipment mogul — he founded Harman International Industries, a stereo maker now based out of Washington, in 1953.

“He was so accessible and had a true passion for the student body,” said Karin Huebner, director of programs at the Academy for Polymathic Study. “He encouraged students to pursue their academic passions because it can lead to something great — and I witnessed that firsthand.”

Huebner said even when Harman did not feel well later in life, he still invited students to talk to him and email him if they had any problems. At one Academy for Polymathic Study meeting, Harman took the time to talk to each of the 43 students that attended.

“The first thing he did was ask each student what his field of study was,” Huebner said. “He didn’t talk about himself … that left an impression.”

Harman believed by bridging different disciplines, from art to science, unparalleled results could be seen — results crucial to the formulation of new ideas and theories.

“[Harman] remained fully committed to helping our students develop expertise that integrates the very best of several disciplines,” President C. L. Max Nikias wrote in a letter. “He touched so many with the breadth of his knowledge, the scope of his intellect and the depth of his experiences. He was a genius.”

In Washington, D.C., Harman used his genius — and his audio fortune, estimated at $500 million — to give back to the community. He funded the building of the Sidney Harman Hall, home to the Shakespeare Theater Company and the Washington Ballet, and also started the Harman Family Foundation, an organization that benefits the arts.

“Few people command the broad perspective that Dr. Harman brought to bear in all his successful endeavors,” wrote Catherine Quinlan, dean of the USC Libraries, in a letter.

Harman served as a guest lecturer for a number of classes, including those in architecture, economics and law.

“He was so much older than the students, but he was so calm in his demeanor and very wise in the words he gave them, that they all showed a great amount of respect for him,” said James Ellis, dean of the Marshall School of Business. “He was a pretty amazing fellow.”

Harman’s impact is evident university-wide; the Academy of Polymathic Study now includes 186 members and those who worked closely with Harman recognize him as a visionary individual.

“On a personal note, I will miss him very deeply, and will fondly recall the many thought-provoking conversations we shared in my office,” Nikias wrote. “I know the USC community joins me in extending heartfelt sympathies to Jane and the entire Harman family.”

Harman is survived by his wife, former congresswoman Jane Harman, six children and two step-children.

Private services will be held in both Washington, D.C. and Los Angeles at later dates, according to his family.