Larry Lim receives President’s Award for Staff Achievement

President C. L. Max Nikias will be giving his first President’s Award for Staff Achievement to Larry Lim, the director of pre-college programs at USC Viterbi School of Engineering.

Recognized · Larry Lim, the director of pre-college programs at the USC Viterbi School of Engineering, has worked with the MESA program since he was a high school teacher. - John McGillen | Daily Trojan

Nikias will present the annual award to Lim at the Staff Recognition Luncheon on May 4. The award is given to the full-time employee who “displays outstanding contributions to the enhancement of USC,” according to the President’s Award for Staff Achievement website.

Lim, who began his career as a high school teacher, has been with the Viterbi School of Engineering since 1979. Some of his most significant work has been with the Mathematics, Engineering, Science Achievement program.

MESA is a USC program that helps to serve disadvantaged youths at the pre-college and college levels by exposing them to the fields of science, technology, engineering, mathematics, aerospace and robotics.

“This award is great because it recognizes the work that the office does and the importance of pre-college programs and working with children to improve their education,” Lim said.

Lim has been involved with MESA since he was a high school teacher.

“Personally, my staff and myself have been impressed with the incredible impact he has had on so many youths,” said Diane Schrader, Manager of Policy Development and Communication for Administrative Operations. “There are students who have felt that Mr. Lim’s program has literally changed their lives.”

In one local school where Lim introduced robotics, 100 percent of the students involved in the program went on to attend college. Ninety percent chose to major in science, math or engineering.

Lim also supports and co-sponsors the Los Angeles area FIRST Robotics competition, mentors Rossier graduate students interested in K-12 education and donates his time to community events like science fairs. He has also implemented a Statewide Webpage Design competition for middle school students supported by Microsoft and started several summer school programs for high school students.

Yannis Yortsos, dean of the Viterbi School of Engineering, described Lim as a quiet, considerate and loyal person who helps everyone he can.

“A number of faculty members interact with him. For many writing research proposals, one of the requirements is having an outreach plan, with which Larry has helped many people,” Yortsos said.

Lim remains humble about his work and awards.

“My greatest accomplishments were simply getting more kids interested in going to college,” Lim said.

Schrader said there were about 50 nominees for this year’s award.

“With the vast number of employees USC has, selecting one as the most example staff, is by definition a highly competitive process,” Schrader said. “This year was no exception.”

The process of nomination and selection for the award is not a simple task, according to Schrader.

“It’s an arduous task of narrowing down the pool to a smaller group from which the president usually makes his selection, but the president does have access to all the information,” Schrader said.

Staff members are often nominated for the award by their peers, but people not connected to the university can also nominate staff members.

1. Paul
    Paul says:

Wow, this reads like a high school newspaper article. Way to represent USC, once-great Daily Trojan.