Books to check out for leisurely summer reading

With summer just weeks away, there is a lot of free time to look forward to. Summer is recognized as the best season for movies, but there will surely be occasions when a good book is just what you need. Whether waiting at the airport or tanning at the beach, check out these new books for when the moment calls for quiet indulgence.

Tom Clancy’s  Against All Enemies, Co-written by Peter Telep
Release Date: June 14
After his seven-year hiatus, bestselling author Tom Clancy returns, offering another action-packed thriller this June after releasing Dead or Alive. Against All Enemies departs from the Ryan universe and offers the story of ex-Navy SEAL Maxwell Moore.
Moore works as a soldier in the CIA’s Special Activities Division. After a near-death experience with the Taliban, Moore learns the Islamist militia is working with the Mexican drug cartels. Moore must sever this dangerous relationship before the enemy strikes.
James Patterson’s Now You see Her
Release Date: June 27
In this stand-alone novel,  as opposed to the usual series, James Patterson and co-author Michael Ledwidge present the story of Nina Bloom, a successful lawyer with a deadly secret that goes back 18 years. Nina must confront her past and the evil she thought she escaped.
Michael Feeney Callan’s Robert Redford
Release Date: May 3
Are you a fan of Butch Cassidy and the Sundance Kid or The Sting? No one can forget Robert Redford’s key roles in these and numerous other films. 
Just a few months before Redford’s 75th birthday Aug. 18, Michael Callan examines the life, views and work of the founder of the Sundance Film Festival.
Brad Thor’s Full Black
Release Date: July 26
Among intelligence agencies, the term “black” refers to covert, off-the-record operations. Living up to the book’s title, Brad Thor has been kept largely silent about the plot of his latest espionage thriller. The 10th book in the series is the darkest yet, telling the story of Scot Harvath, a Navy SEAL who worked for various counter-terrorism agencies.
After a misstep, a covert mission undermines America’s intelligence agencies and Harvath must make risky and critical moves to fix the agencies’ reputation. Brad Thor, a USC alum, studied creative writing under T.C. Boyle, so look for this to  be an intense read. The first two chapters are available for free on Thor’s website and Facebook page.
Clive Cussler’s The Kingdom
Release Date: June 7
Clive Cussler’s thriller novels have taken readers everywhere from the Sahara Desert to the Northwest Passage.
His new novel, The Kingdom, is no less interesting. Centering around professional treasure hunters Sam and Remi Fargo (rather than classic Cussler hero Dirk Pitt), the story spans  Tibet, China, Siberia and Italy as the duo search for a missing friend. Co-authored by Grant Blackwood, Cussler’s novel hits shelves and e-book readers in early June.
Release Date: May 10
Comedian and host of late night talk show Chelsea Lately, Chelsea Handler will release her fourth book this May. Less of an autobiography and than a humorous confession, the book features anecdotal accounts of her lies and the people who were tricked into believing them.
In addition to her commentary, the book includes the responses of her friends and family to her exaggerations and outright lies. Fans of the show will definitely find this amusing.
release date: May 24
Yes, they certainly do, thanks to the success of ESPN. The book encompasses the story of ESPN, from its conception by Bill Rasmussen to how it appears today, with commentary from individuals like Keith Olberman, Bill Simmons and Chris Berman.
For an unbridled look at the history of the world’s biggest sports-program network, be sure to check this out, sports fans.
  1. Lil and Big Jon
    Lil and Big Jon says:

Do you have any books by people who can write??? Try some of the classics. The Time 100 best novels of all time is the best place to start. Most of the above is trash and a waste of your time.