Trojan expansion benefits students through diversity

As students bike past the flag-filled Von KleinSmid Center, nearly crashing with someone from a country on the other side of the world, it’s becoming nearly impossible to ignore USC’s rapidly expanding global brand.

With an exponentially expanding international family, USC instills a sense of global citizenship in students that encourages them to reach outside the United States and make vital international connections that will further future careers.

Regardless of major, students come into contact with from across the globe and collaborate academically, socially and professionally.

The growing international  population and renowned diversity are just part of what makes USC special and expands the Trojan Family well beyond state boundaries.

According to the Office of Admission, traditionally about 30 percent of accepted international students choose to come to USC, but this semester USC expects 45 percent of those students to arrive. The drastic change reveals a significant increase in USC’s attractiveness abroad.

Recognizing that a global outlook expands students’ minds and academic horizons, USC has hosted several events overseas, such as the USC Global Conference taking place in Hong Kong in October, to attract international students and increase the university’s relevance abroad.

In recent years, USC has focused heavily on recruiting students from Southeast Asia and countries on the Pacific Rim.

An amplified Trojan presence in China — with the establishment of the USC U.S.-China Institute in 2006 — has helped increase the Chinese presence at USC, so much so that this semester USC will host more international students from mainland China than from any other country, with India at a close second.

USC also has offices in Japan, Taiwan, South Korea, and Mexico, with plans to strengthen ties in Brazil and India.

USC’s international prominence, world-class faculty and high-performing students have helped elevate the university in the U.S. News and World Report’s rankings to
No. 23 in the nation, two spots ahead of UCLA and one behind UC Berkeley.

Just as USC embraces students from foreign lands, USC encourages current students to expand their horizons off campus and explore new countries.

With study abroad programs in six continents focusing on all fields of study, Trojans can become international students themselves, absorb foreign culture and return to USC and share their global experiences with other students.

By possessing such strong international ties USC prompts its students to strive to become “global scholars.”

Students are encouraged to learn a second language, incorporate a global perspective in their studies, participate in international clubs and campaigns, and simply observe the diversity on campus.

Not only do President C. L. Max Nikias’ trips abroad give USC a larger worldwide profile, but they also build the foundation for international projects where USC students can help a country better serve its citizens through medical, technological, commercial or some other form of research.

With a global perspective in class, dozens of internationally focused clubs, global research opportunities, and exciting study abroad programs, USC students gain vital exposure to other countries and cultures in an increasingly globalized world.

The university’s historically high acceptance of international students goes hand-in-hand with the university’s evolving mission to transform high school graduates into global scholars with the knowledge and contacts to change the world.

If that means USC must look outside of California to fill its classrooms, so be it.

Conrad Wilton is a junior majoring in broadcast journalism.