USC to move on in light of Miami scandal


USC Athletic Director Pat Haden insists the chapter has been closed.

Moving forward · Despite outrage from fans and alumni, USC athletic director Pat Haden believes the university must put the past behind it. - Anna Wierzbowska | Daily Trojan

There won’t be a lawsuit. There won’t be any further action taken against the NCAA after it rejected the Trojans’ appeal of sanctions levied against the football program in June 2010, much to the chagrin of many alumni, boosters and fans.

“We’re not idiots,” Haden told the Daily Trojan on Friday. “The university has looked at every alternative. Period.”

Haden’s utterance of such words wasn’t the first in the months following the NCAA Committee on Infractions rejection of USC’s appeal in May, but unrest and disappointment among a variety of fans have persisted.

“It just feels like they’re kissing [the NCAA’s] butts a little bit and hoping it will all go away,” said Vic Orly, a 1994 USC graduate and six-year season ticket holder. “I think they really need to take a stance.”

The university, however, has ruled out the idea of a lawsuit.

“The university’s mission is best served by moving forward at this time, without pursuing further redress,” USC President C. L. Max Nikias said in a statement Wednesday.  “We ask that the Trojan Family offer its utmost support to the student-athletes and coaches of the Trojan football team, confident that USC’s commitment to the highest level of excellence in academics and athletics will not waver in the coming years.”

Orly, along with Amy Lamare, a 1991 graduate who runs the website Gridiron Goddess, launched an online petition Saturday night, asking for the “cancelation of sanctions against USC.”

The petition, which went viral at approximately 6 p.m. Saturday, accumulated 1,248 signatures by noon Monday. Citing Paul Dee’s role as chairman of the Committee on Infractions during the USC hearing, the petition asks for the sanctions to be “dropped without delay whatsoever.”

“Hopefully they appeal the sanctions,” said Orly, who remains hopeful the petition can garner upward to 10,000 online signatures. “That’s the ultimate goal. Get rid of the bowl ban for this year, because this is unfair to our current players.”

The petition comes in the wake of a recent Yahoo! Sports report centering on a University of Miami booster Nevin Shapiro, who had been sentenced to federal prison for 20 years on June 7 for his involvement in a $930 million Ponzi scheme.

Shapiro supplied thousands of impermissible benefits to at least 72 Miami student-athletes, according to the report.

What has struck a chord among fans, however, is that Dee also served as the athletic director at Miami from 1993 to 2008.

“We were incensed, because he’s handing down infractions to USC that look like a parking ticket compared to what was happening at Miami at that exact time,” Lamare said. “He had it in for USC and I don’t think that’s just conjecture.”

The alleged violations, stemming from Shapiro’s involvement with the program, were said to have occurred from 2002 to 2010 — years primarily when Dee headed the school’s athletic programs.

“If the allegations prove true, the words irony and hypocrisy don’t seem to go far enough,” Pac-12 Commissioner Larry Scott told the Los Angeles Times last week.

Irritated with Dee’s involvement in the USC case, a number of fans have expressed disappointment with an inactivity from the university’s athletic department.

Because of a perceived conflict of interest with Dee placed on the COI, Orly and Lamare believe USC should either ask the NCAA to reopen the case or file a lawsuit altogether.

“It’s not that we didn’t do things wrong and act against the rules, but the punishment didn’t fit the crime,” Lamare said.

Even with more than 2,000 online signatures, Orly and Lamare — although acknowledging the near-impossible odds of NCAA President Mark Emmert listening to an assembly of bitter USC alumni, fans and students — hope, at least, to raise awareness of USC’s ill-treatment from the infractions committee, namely Dee.

“One thing that infuriates me is that, outside of the Pac-12, nobody really knows what happened with USC,” Lamare said. “They think this was a pay-for-play scandal. They really forget it was one player and one agent trying to lure him away. That has nothing to do with a competitive advantage.”

In Yahoo! Sports’ report, among the 72 Miami players identified as having received extra benefits, several had received them from Shapiro while being recruited out of high school, gaining access to cars, VIP clubs and his personal yacht.

Because Dee oversaw the Hurricanes’ program during this time period, Lamare and Orly argue that Dee’s assertion that USC “should have known” should apply to his run at Miami as well.

“Our case just came at the wrong time,” Lamare said. “We had this high-flying program for a number of years that people were jealous of. We laughed at Mike Garrett when he said that, but it’s kind of true.”

 

4 replies
  1. Charles
    Charles says:

    This latest statement by USC President Nikias is the epitome of this current administration. With the fallout from the University of Miami scandal, media and journalists across the country have come to the defense of USC by pointing out the hypocrisy of the NCAA and in particular, Mr. Paul Dee, who served as the Chairman of the Committee on Infractions that oversaw the USC case. Even if President Nikias feels it is best for the University to move forward, why come out with a public statement now, right when the media is coming to the defense of the University? ESPN has already picked up this latest statement from President Nikias and posted it on ESPN Los Angeles. Again, why post this statement right now and ruin any momentum the University had? Instead of continually sucking up to the NCAA, why not stand up for the University of Southern California? Where is the “Fight On” in this administration? What would hurt by publicly asking the NCAA for a full investigation into Mr. Paul Dee? While Mr. Dee is telling USC that he is “troubled” by the atmosphere at USC, he has a rouge booster: lead the University of Miami football team out of the tunnel, physically attack his Director of Compliance and even talk of putting a stripper pole in his luxury box, not to mention a host of other issues. President Nikias, have you taken the time to read what Long Beach State President, Mr. F. King Alexander, recently said about the NCAA and Mr. Paul Dee? Judging by his public comments, sounds like the Long Beach State President is doing more for USC’s case than you or Mr. Pat Haden ever dreamed of doing. If you and Mr. Haden do not want to defend the core integrity of the University of Southern California, please get out of the way and let someone else qualified do the job.

  2. BruCru
    BruCru says:

    Does not matter if punishment did not fit the crime. It does not take away the fact that one of the players broke the rules. Stop crying, you got caught, and now you don’t like it. At least Haden is smart enough to see that the program has to move forward. One guilty all guilty, if that was not the case, Carroll would still be the coach. Reggie Bush does not care he is getting paid. If he did care, he would donate some big bucks for his screw up. You ONE PLAYER, was teh best player on your team. Accept the punishment, and stop crying.

Trackbacks & Pingbacks

  1. […] friend and fellow Trojan Vic Orly and I were interviewed by USC’s student newspaper the Daily Trojan about the petition Vic launched (and I helped write) asking the NCAA to immediately dismiss the […]

Comments are closed.