VKC library extends hours after suggestion

USC Libraries fully implemented its first suggestion from the Essential Ideas website by extending the Von KleinSmid Center  library hours this week.

The site allows USC community members to post suggestions related to libraries and allows other members to vote for posted suggestions.

After receiving 140 votes, a suggestion to extend hours at the Von KleinSmid Center Library was implemented. The library now open three hours longer to 10 p.m. Monday through Thursday and to 8 p.m. on Sunday.

Previous customer surveys had already brought the issue to USC Libraries’ attention. Hugh McHarg, executive director of communications and public programming for USC Libraries, said this is the first time a suggestion has fully gone through the process of getting votes, being reviewed by USC Libraries and going into effect.

“Extending the hours is not a surprising change because it’s something that kept coming up,” McHarg said. “Students said they wanted [various] other libraries to be open later as well, and these requests consolidated in this more general suggestion to extend VKC’s hours.”

McHarg said USC Libraries expects to see more activity on Essential Ideas this year after the website launched toward the end of last semester.

“It’s been in a pilot phase until now and, as the semester progresses, we expect more folks to catch on and start participating,” McHarg said. “We’re looking forward to an active and vocal group telling us what that they need from our libraries.”

Suggestions currently under review include an initiative to make HOMER more easily searchable, adding more electrical outlets in Doheny Library, allowing online study room reservations and adding more vegetarian options at LiteraTEA. McHarg said USC Libraries is also planning to make printing available at Doheny.