USC edged by Cougars in Pac-12 opener

It’s become an all too familiar story. The USC women’s soccer team watches its opponents celebrate a thrilling victory, while  it is left completely shocked.

All too often, there has only been silence on the Trojan sideline after the final whistle. And the Women of Troy’s (3-7-0) loss to Washington State (7-3-1) was no exception.

Early surge · Junior forward Samantha Johnson (right) scored on a header 14 seconds into the Women of Troy’s Pac-12 opener against Washington State. It would prove to be their lone goal of Sunday’s contest. - Jaideep Chadha | Daily Trojan

With the score knotted at one in the 86th minute, Wazzou forward Brandi Vega singlehandedly dribbled through three Trojan defenders and took off down the right sideline.

Matching her run unmarked down the middle was midfielder Jocelyn Jeffers. Vega centered it on a platter, and Jeffers slotted it past a helpless sophomore Shelby Church in goal.

“It sums up everything we’ve been through this season,” USC coach Ali Khosroshahin said. “We lose focus in the most crucial moments in front of the goal. We lose our discipline.”

That loss of discipline was the culmination of a Cougar onslaught over the previous 25 minutes.

Washington State forced three corner kicks in quick succession and recorded 11 of its 18 shots in the second half.

“I don’t even know what to say,” senior defender Claire Schloemer said. “It’s a heartbreaker. It brings back Texas.”

Schloemer referenced the Women of Troy’s last game at McAlister Field two weeks ago, when they blew a 1-0 lead in the 80th minute before going on to lose in overtime.

This time looked like it might be different. Off the opening kick, sophomore midfielder Haley Boysen broke free down the left sideline before launching a centered pass to senior forward Samantha Johnson, streaking down the center of the field. Johnson headed the ball right over the keeper’s shoulder for her first goal of the season.

Fourteen seconds in the Trojans had the lead.

The rest of the first half was mostly Women of Troy-dominated as well.

Senior midfielder Carly Butcher had a pair of blistering shots from long range, including one that hit the crossbar and went straight down.

The USC sideline screamed that the ball crossed the goal line and went in, but the referee just shook his head.

“I thought for the first 60 minutes we were the better team,” Khosroshahin said. “And then about the 65th minute they stepped up and we shrank.”

A more apt time, in the 67th minute, the Women of Troy suffered the same type of defensive breakdown that has plagued them all season.

After the Women of Troy conceded a free kick deep in their own half, Cougar defender Rachael Doyle ended up with the ball to the left of the USC goal.

She headed the ball back into the box, and it slithered all the way through the mass of Women of Troy defenders, Cougar attackers, and Church and found its way into the side netting to tie the game at one.

“Just a lack of attention to detail,” Schloemer said. “[The scorer] didn’t even attack the ball. It just hit off her head and went in.”

It’s starting to become desperation time for the Women of Troy, as they are in danger of suffering their first losing season since 1992.

Now at the halfway mark, the Women of Troy have yet to win at home, and face the daunting task of the Pac-12 ahead.

The Women of Troy will get another chance to right the ship next weekend when they host the Oregon schools at McAlister Field.

1. Alum
    Alum says:

It now starts to become more of a need for them to get back in the game mentally. Often teams that become fixated on their string of losses become paralyzed, resulting in a continued wnward spiral. Hang in there. You have the talent.

2. WTF
    WTF says:

Women of Troy and Coach Khosroshahin keep your heads up. The Trojan family is behind you 100%. It will come together just keep plugging away.