USC finishes eighth at fall preview

The USC women’s golf team began its highly touted season with an eighth place finish overall at the Mason Rudolph Fall Preview in Nashville, Tenn.

Leading the pack · Senior Lisa McCloskey helped propel the Women of Troy to an eighth-place finish at the Mason Rudolph Fall Preview. McCloskey finished two-over 218 through three rounds in the tournament. - Photo courtesy of USC Sports Information

No. 2 USC wrapped up play Sunday with a final score of 888, just shy of Arizona State, which finished third with a score of 884.

The final 18 holes marked significant improvements for the Women of Troy.

Senior Lisa McCloskey, who entered 1-over-through the first two rounds, finished tied for eighth at 2-over-par, along with sophomore Sophia Popov. Morris, who shot an eight-over to begin the competition on Friday, finished tied for 52nd at 13-over-par. Freshman Kristen Park rode a five-stroke jump to conclude her first tournament at 14-over-par and tied for 57th. Inah Park placed 62nd at 15-over par .

Saturday was a bit of struggle for the Women of Troy, as they dropped to seventh place at 16-over-par, 13 strokes behind first-place UCLA.

Popov reeled off 10 consecutive pars to conclude play and finished tied for fifth at even-144, her second consecutive even mark.

McCloskey finished tied for 15th at 2-over-par, while both Kristen Park and Inah Park concluded at 10-over 154 for 59th place. Sophomore Rachel Morris jumped up 10 spots to 65th as she finished 11-over-par.

The Women of Troy began the tournament off to a fast start, led by 2011 National Golf College Association Freshman of the Year, Popov, who kicked off her sophomore campaign with a second-place finish. With Popov, USC led after 18 holes. Despite inclement weather throughout the day, the Women of Troy finished at 4-over-par, a stroke over Arizona State and four-over crosstown rivals UCLA.

Popov, an early Player of the Year candidate, recorded three bogeys and two birdies in the last six holes, finishing Friday’s round tied with six others at even.

Arizona State’s Justine Lee led the pack at 1-under par. McCloskey, one of five returning starters, finished tied for ninth at 1-over and, like Popov, birdied her last two holes. Park, the nation’s top recruit, also finished at 1-over par, compiling two bogeys and a birdie in her impressive debut. Senior Inah Park began 2-over par with two birdies, while sophomore Rachel Morris finished 8-over par.

“It was a great start to the season,” USC coach Andrea Gaston said. “The key was we persevered in tough conditions and finished strong.”

UCLA won the tournament with a final score of 873, followed by Alabama at 879.

Duke’s Lindy Duncan and Alabama’s Jennifer Kirby led all players with scores of 4-under 212.

Next up for the Women of Troy is the Stanford Invitational, Oct. 14, in Palo Alto, Calif.