Haute Highlights

CicLAvia

If you thought Carmageddon — that time the 405 closed, leaving absolutely no cars on the road — was a blast, just imagine the fun in store with the surface streets intentionally shut down.

Started as a health initiative in Bogotá, Colombia in an attempt to fight against the city’s persistent pollution, CicLAvia has now extended throughout Latin America and the United States, providing citizens with a brief moment of serenity in their bustling cities, even if only for a moment.

On Sunday, an unbelievable 10 miles of Los Angeles streets will be closed, including added stops at South Los Angeles and Olvera Street. Bikers will be abundant. Shops will open their doors. And, of course, there will be delectable food.

It’s not often Downtown Los Angeles transforms into a pedestrian friendly, park-like setting. This Sunday marks the third CicLAvia event, so make the most of it and enjoy the brief moment of openness in our typically crazed concrete jungle.

Queen Mary Horror Nights

October is finally here and with it comes myriad haunted Halloween events, the most notable being the Queen Mary’s Dark Harbor in Long Beach, Calif.

This annual scare-fest has served as the cornerstone for Southern California Halloween events for years. With an assortment of mazes in the gothic setting of the enticingly frightening Queen Mary herself matched with the complete demonic takeover by the likes of men with chainsaws running rampid and a trio of she-demons who thrive on mortal souls after dark, you’re sure to be paralyzed with fear.

Tickets start at $20 and can be purchased online for events beginning Friday; offers are also available for a few brave souls in search of an entire night of horror aboard the ship.

This Halloween, forget Knott’s Scary Farm or Six Flags’s Halloween Fright Fest and opt for the unusual but even more terrifying. The Queen Mary’s Dark Harbor is sure to scare even the most macho of us. Are you brave enough to handle it?

Island of Lost Souls / Dr. Jekyll and Mr. Hyde

Hollywood’s Egyptian Theatre on Hollywood Boulevard will be busy tonight.

At 6 p.m., famous movie director John Landis (The Blues Brothers, Trading Places, An American Werewolf in London) will be present for a book signing, advertising his new book Monsters in the Movies.

At 7:30 p.m., Landis will introduce a stunning double-feature screening that will dive into the mindset of ’30s horror flicks. The screening includes two hit classics: Erle C. Kenton’s Island of Lost Souls and Rouben Mamoulian’s Dr. Jekyll and Mr. Hyde.

Viewers are sure to be enthralled by the stunning juxtaposition of modern horror and the cult classics of the ’30s. Gain insight into the mind of a mad scientist in Kenton’s Island of Lost Souls or sit back and watch the bone-chilling, age-old tale of Dr. Jekyll and Mr. Hyde and who knows, maybe you’ll get a chance to talk to Landis.

For more information and specifics about the event, visit www.VoicePlaces.com.

Incubus

The Calabasas-native band Incubus will be headlining a lease event at the Hollywood Bowl on Friday night at 7:30 p.m.

Joining the veteran alternative rockers will be Young the Giant, the esteemed, up-and-coming indie powerhouse from Irvine, Calif. Young the Giant has been receiving a lot of critical praise for its debut, eponymous album.

Attendees can expect a full-throttle concert mixed with the greatest hits of Incubus’ past, its new innovative sound from If Not Now, When? and the edgy tang and flavor of Young the Giant’s indie sound — all in the comfort and luxury of the prestigious Hollywood Bowl.

Doors will open at 5:30 p.m. Patrons are encouraged to bring picnic baskets, coolers and seats or cushions to bask in the euphoric music the night has to offer.

Interested? Buy tickets, and find event information at www.HollywoodBowl.com.