Former ‘Idol’ winner dropped by label

Lee DeWyze, winner of the ninth season of American Idol, has reportedly been dropped by RCA Records after releasing only one album, and just a year and a half after winning the show.

DeWyze cruised through his season, never landing in the “Bottom Two,” as he tended to choose songs, such as Hinder’s “Lips of an Angel,” that showed off his rock chops.

The 25-year-old ended up beating dreadlocked favorite Crystal Bowersox in the season finale, but his success on the show didn’t translate to record sales.

The former paint store clerk released his major label debut Live It Up in November 2010 to mixed reviews. It sold only 168,000 copies, making it the worst-selling debut from an “Idol” winner in the show’s history.

RCA Records CEO Peter Edge confirmed the news in an interview with Hollywood Reporter last week, making DeWyze only the second “Idol” winner to be dumped after just one album, after season five’s Taylor Hicks.

DeWyze recently posted on his Twitter page, “I am putting out another album, and there are many things in the works. I am very happy to be making the music I am making, & the direction… I’m going in.”

Five other winners remain on RCA’s roster- season one’s Kelly Clarkson, season four’s Carrie Underwood, season six’s Jordin Sparks, season seven’s David Cook, and season eight’s Kris Allen.