The Academy Is… officially disbanded

Looks like there are no awards in sight for The Academy Is…, one of the most recent bands to end its run in the music biz. Apparently, the band has been growing apart since its inception nine years ago. Three albums later, it was time to cut the chord.

The Academy Is… has long been overshadowed by the slow-burning depreciation of the group. Two members left the band in May. Five months later, the rest have decided to call it quits.

The band took to its website to announce the news, saying “The Academy Is… have decided to go our separate ways,” but that the members look back on their history together with fondness, appreciation and a sense of accomplishment.

With almost 500,000 units sold of their trio of albums, numerous Warped Tour appearances and a loyal fan base, the band surely has made its mark. The video for their song “The Phrase That Pays” has almost 3 million views on Youtube.

William Beckett, the lead singer of the high-school alternative rock band, wrote on his own blog that fans can “expect new music from each of us.” So fear not, TAI fans; this is not the end. “Not by a long shot,” writes Beckett.

If you were planning on seeing the band tour with Jack’s Mannequin later this month, you’re out of luck. The band played its last official show on Sept. 8.