USC appoints vice president for health

President C. L. Max Nikias announced Wednesday in a memorandum the appointment of Thomas Jackiewicz, chief executive officer of UC San Diego Health System and associate vice chancellor of UC San Diego Health Sciences, to the position of senior vice president and chief executive officer for USC health, effective Jan. 1, 2012.

Jackiewicz will be responsible for the operations of the Keck Medical Center of USC, which includes USC Norris Cancer Hospital, the Keck Doctors of USC and USC Care Medical Group Inc. Jackiweicz will report directly to President Nikias and Provost and Vice President of Academic Affairs Elizabeth Garrett.

One of Jackiewicz’s primary roles will be the integration of the clinical enterprise of the hospital and the academic operations of the USC Keck School of Medicine. He will also serve on the Keck Medicine Oversight Committee, which ensures the Keck Medical Center’s business operations further the academic and community objectives of the university.

In his current position in the UC San Diego Health System, Jackiewicz oversees 5,500 employees and is responsible for a $900-million budget. Under Jackiewicz’s leadership, UC San Diego Health System was recognized by Thomson Reuters as one of the top teaching hospitals in the nation in 2010.

Jackiewicz has served as the national chair of the Association of American Medical Colleges’ Group on Business Affairs and was the former chief operating officer of Columbia University Medical Center and the senior associate chair for finance and administration for the department of medicine at Stanford University School of Medicine.

Jackiewicz received his bachelor’s degree in business administration from the University of Georgia and his master of public health in health policy and management from Columbia University.