Pac-12 fines Kiffin

USC coach Lane Kiffin has been reprimanded and fined $10,000 by the Pac-12, conference commissioner Larry Scott announced Monday.

Following Saturday’s triple-overtime loss to Stanford, Kiffin said he was “extremely disappointed” with the officials, claiming a referee told him USC would be granted a timeout with one second remaining in regulation after a replay showed sophomore wide receiver Robert Woods’ knee was down in bounds.

“The Pac-12 has specific rules that prohibit our coaches from making public comments about officiating, and this prohibition specifically includes comments that create doubts about the credibility of the Conference’s officiating program,” Scott said in a statement. “The Conference expects each Pac-12 coach to adhere to our standards of conduct and to conduct himself or herself in a manner which will reflect credit on the institution and the Conference.”

In addition, junior safety T.J. McDonald was suspended for the first half of USC’s game at Colorado on Friday for a 15-yard targeting penalty he received on Stanford’s final drive in regulation.

1. Clickit
    Clickit says:

The coach’s comments did not “create doubts about the credibility of the Conference’s officiating program.” The officiating did. And does. And has, for the last decade, at least.

2. m1k3Vx
    m1k3Vx says:

Although I am completely on Kiffin’s side on this issue he gets paid enough to cover the fine. If you want a collection, go hit up the trustees…they’ve got tons of disposable funds!

Back on the subject though, I hate when leagues fine players/coaches expressing their opinions and commenting on the reality of controversial events/calls. They should just own up to the mistakes made and that’s that.

3. Dan Howard
    Dan Howard says:

I would love to see a collection taken up by the students of USC to cover this absurd NCAA fine. I, for one, am extremely proud that Coach Kiffin did not just ‘roll over and take it’ when the program was subjected to injustice, as other administrators have done. Kiffin is showing the true spirit behind ‘FIGHT ON’ – and I believe if students and alums were to cover this fine – one dollar at a time, it would make immediate national news (if shared properly) and show the country (and Coach Kiffin) that we are completely behind his efforts and appreciate his fighting for us in an increasingly corrupt NCAA/BCS era. Faithful. Scholarly. Skillful, Courageous, Ambitious. Just the qualities we want in a USC Trojan. Thank you Coach!