Suspect named in hit-and-run of USC student

The Los Angeles Police Department announced Thursday it has identified the suspect in a hit-and-run incident that left a 21-year-old USC student in critical condition.

The suspect, Jose Arevalo, was making a left turn at the intersection of Lexington and Vermont Avenues in East Hollywood on Tuesday when he struck a motorcycle being ridden by the USC student, according to LAPD detective Jonny Meneses.

LAPD recovered the 1993 GMC Safari van Arevalo was driving, but Arevlao remains at large.

After hitting the motorcycle, Arevalo briefly stopped to view the scene before speeding off down Vermont Avenue, according to witnesses.

California state law mandates that a driver involved in a hit-and-run accident “immediately stop” and cooperate with law enforcement when they arrive on the scene. Failing to abide by these laws can result in a maximum one-year prison sentence or a fine of up to $10,000.

LAPD is asking members of the community with information regarding Arevalo whereabouts to contact LAPD Central Traffic Division.

1. godbless
    godbless says:

Dead Anonymous,
    It’s not a hit-and-run if the offender run away after stopping for a while? what is it then? huh

2. anonymous
    anonymous says:

It’s not a hit-and-run if the offender stops at the scene. Then it is just an accident. It is only a hit-and-run if the offender runs away from the scene.