Nikias says USC is honored to host Christiane Amanpour

USC President C. L. Max Nikias released a statement Friday in response to the selection of journalist Christiane Amanpour as USC’s 2012 commencement speaker.

The Daily Trojan reported USC’s selection Saturday. She will be the third woman since 1983 to address USC’s graduating class.

Words of wisdom · CNN International and ABC News host Christiane Amanpour will address the class of 2012 at commencement. - Photo courtesy of ABC News

Nikias said USC is honored to host Amanpour.

“Her global perspective on the issues that affect our nation and the world add a valuable element to our national dialogue, and as her many awards testify, Amanpour represents the best in journalistic achievement,” Nikias said.

Amanpour’s accolades include an inaugural Television Academy Award, nine News and Documentary Emmys and four George Foster Peabody Awards.

Amanpour, who serves as the chief international correspondent for CNN International and the global affairs anchor for ABC News, said she is excited to address USC’s graduating class.

“It’s always so exciting to look into the eyes of the next generation of leaders, and from my perspective to exhort them to travel and learn as much about the world as possible,” Amanpour said in an email. “Today, just staying onshore is not an option.”

1. Dan the Frustrated Trojan
    Dan the Frustrated Trojan says:

I’m kind of disgusted that according to your guys’ poll, over 1/4 of people on this site don’t know who she is. Maybe we should have invited Kim Kardashian or something.