Jessop-Whittier Cup belongs to Women of Troy

The No. 6 USC women’s rowing team won its fourth Jessop-Whittier Cup in school history and second straight at the San Diego Crew Classic.

It was the first time in USC history that the Women of Troy won back-to-back Jessop-Whittier Cups. USC qualified all three varsity boats for the grand final.

USC’s efforts were led by the varsity eight, which finished its race in 7:03.93.

The Women of Troy never trailed in the race, finishing a boat length ahead of No. 1 Virginia, No. 8 Washington, No. 2 California, UCLA and No. 5 Stanford.

USC’s second varsity eight was hindered by its position in lane 6, having to deal with cross winds and an outgoing tide.

The boat took sixth place, falling behind UCLA, Washington, Virginia, Stanford and California.

USC’s second varsity four won its third final, finishing 11 seconds in front of Stanford. The novice eight took third in the petite final and ninth overall.

USC’s varsity four boat, which competed in the last grand final at the event, also encountered the same problems as the second varsity eight in lane 6, finishing fifth behind Virginia, Washington State, UCLA and Tennessee.

The Women of Troy will next compete at Carnegie Lake in Princeton, N.J., on April 14 against Princeton and Yale.