USC offers $125,000 reward

The Los Angeles Police Department announced Thursday that USC will offer a $125,000 reward for information that leads to the conviction of those found guilty of the murder of two USC graduate students.

Ying Wu and Ming Qu, second-year electrical engineering graduate students, were fatally shot Wednesday morning.

LAPD will hold a press conference Friday at 1 p.m. at the crime scene in the 2700 block of Raymond Avenue.

Anyone with information is asked to call  Detectives Vince Carreon or Eloy Ochoa of the LAPD’s Criminal Gang Homicide Division at (213) 485-4341, or the Detective Information Desk at the 24-hour toll free number 877-LAPD-24-7, or TTY (877-275-5273).

View LAPD Press conference in a larger map

1. Concerned
    Concerned says:

So dear “Parent”, for the safety of your child that is still going to school there, please donate some money and make the reward larger. That’s the best way to keep your child safe!

2. Concerned
    Concerned says:

>> $125,000. should have been spent on security and safety for our children who are students at USC BEFORE they >> are gunned down and murdered. raped and robbed , what price a life?

You just don’t understand. The best way to deter criminals is to make sure whoever committed the crimes get punished. So I would say the reward is very very well justified!!!

3. Lauren
    Lauren says:

Thanks for pointing this out, Yifu. I was just about to do the same. Lets not make this tragedy about race or money when it isn’t about those things at all. May the two victims rest in peace. We should all be focusing on offering love and support to their families, friends, and the USC community during this difficult time.

4. Harvey
    Harvey says:

As a Chinese student , I wanna say that American society is quite diffrent from that in China. Chinese students lack the conscious and experience of coping with gun shots or robbery like that cauz our country doesn’t permit civilians to own guns. To students , it’s dangerous to stay outside in the mid night in the United States, they are vulnerable to those crimes.They can’t fight back. If sth happens, pleaz never fight back. TO GOVERNMENT: I know u always support civilian guns’ permission in the states for the reason of protecting ur interest, thou it’s bullshit, u need to garantee students’ lives without costs! WE SEND OUR CHILDREN TO YOUR COUNTRY FOR LEARNING !! CHINA is poorer but safer than the USA! YOU SHOULD BE ASHAMED OF THAT. Ability means responsibility

5. Parent
    Parent says:

Not one word from Nikias, not one–he who is the architect of the new over-crowded USC, stretching our resources past the point of breaking.

Too much too soon. “Sprinting through a Marathon” is never a good idea, President Nikias. We are all watching and listening–we are not all cheering.

Slow down, your are making some big mistakes.

I for one, will not allow my second child to attend USC, too preoccupied with ego at the expense of the welfare of the students.

6. Alex
    Alex says:

To parent: I respectfully disagree. A lenient liberal criminal code which protects criminals rather than law-abiding citizens is to blame. If every crackheads on the streets who commit murdering, raping and robbing were to be caught and severely punished, the criminals would be much less rampant.

By the way, USC offered 135000 for info on a hit-and-run incident in which a white student was killed. I believe the life of 2 Chinese students worth no less than that of a white student.

7. anon
    anon says:

This may sound crude and I know that a reward is largely symbolic, but that is too close to the cost of tuition for two years of grad school for two students.

It might give the impression that the university values these students based solely on tuition.

8. parent
    parent says:

$125,000. should have been spent on security and safety for our children who are students at USC BEFORE they are gunned down and murdered. raped and robbed , what price a life? off duty police who need extra money could have been hired to patrol all of these unsafe areas where students live.. Clean up this and all the areas now!
    so sad. I am so sad for their family and these students.
    I have seen suspicious people racing up and down the row looking for oppertunities to rob..
    You need speed bumps there as well to slow down the traffic so the security cameras can record. and slow the cars down so noone is hit by a car.. that is another issue but USC is asleep when it regards safety of their students especially the women. they hush up the crime. why dont I ever see LAPD driving around and patroling?
    You can sure get a parking ticket but safety patrol cars? never see them. what else is it going to take USC?