Repavement begins on Ellendale Place

Roadwork began Monday to improve Ellendale Place between 29th Street and Adams Boulevard. Parking is not permitted along Ellendale Place from 6:30 a.m. to 4 p.m.

The City of Los Angeles is resurfacing the street, and construction is estimated to last four weeks.

Improvement · Repavement began on Ellendale Place on Monday as part of an L.A. City Council-approved project to improve streets throughout Los Angeles. The project is expected to last four weeks and to cost $300,000. - Chloe Stepney | Daily Trojan

The last time any maintenance was done on Ellendale Place was in 1986. The average life cycle of a residential street is 20 to 25 years, said Nazario Sauceda, director of the Bureau of Street Services for the City of Los Angeles.

Ellendale Place is one of many streets being identified by the city for improvements this year.

“The conditions of streets today are a result of historical underfunding,” Sauceda said. “It’s a monumental thing that our administration now is doing something to stop the deterioration of our streets.”

Cora Jackson-Fossett, director of public affairs for the L.A. Dept. of Public Works, said the improvements will benefit students and the surrounding community.

“This will reduce costs to automotive repairs and bring aesthetic calming to the community and noise reduction,” Jackson-Fossett said.

The street system in Los Angeles is the largest street network in the world and incorporates more than 70,000 city blocks. Using MicroPAVER, the city is able to analyze the condition of every street and to predict future conditions.

“Streets are a key component of the quality of life for residents,” Sauceda said. “Ellendale Place will not only improve conditions for cars, but also address livability, walkability and serviceability.”

USC bus stops on Ellendale are not accessible during construction. B Route stops can instead be accessed at 29th Street and Ellendale Place or Adams Boulevard and Ellendale Place.

The estimated cost of the project is $300,000.