Keck to host 75 Chinese physicians

A group of Chinese physicians will travel to USC for training in minimally invasive surgery, as part of a new educational and research agreement formalized by the Keck School of Medicine last year.

Summer · Around 75 physicians in groups of four from China will attend a two to three week-training session at the Keck Medical School of USC. Participants will observe and learn techniques for minimally invasive surgery. - Photo courtesy of Keck School of Medicine of USC

The university will offer a structured training program that will allow Chinese physicians to come to the Health Sciences Campus in groups of four to spend two or three weeks observing complex, minimally invasive surgery in operating rooms at the Keck Hospital of USC. The program will also provide physicians with online training and education, a skills lab and mentoring by USC faculty.

The agreement provides for as many as 75 surgeons to come to USC each year and for research collaboration and faculty exchanges. Keck will also use telemedicine to offer second opinions to physicians and patients throughout China.

Brad Selby, chief administrative officer of the Department of Surgery at Keck, said the agreement is a significant initiative for  the university and California.

“It’s also an important project for California because the Pacific Rim is vitally important to the university as a whole,” Selby said. “There’s a huge Chinese population here in Southern California.”

Selby said it is important to form partnerships with China because of the presence of Chinese-Americans in California.

“There were a lot of compelling reasons for us [to enter into an agreement with China], especially future opportunities, research collaboration and patient care. There’s a huge Chinese population here in Southern California,” Selby said.

The program is funded by the participants’ universities.