Three Trojan pitchers selected in MLB draft

Pitchers Andrew Triggs, Martin Viramontes and Jordan Hershiser were all selected on the second day of the three-day event.

Triggs was the first to go, drafted in the 19th round (583rd overall) by the Kansas City Royals. It’s the third time the senior has been selected.

The next step · Senior starting pitcher Andrew Triggs was drafted by the Kansas City Royals in last week’s MLB draft. During his last season at USC, he had an earned run average of 3.49. - Corey Marquetti | Summer Trojan

The Cleveland Indians picked him in the 24th round in 2010, following his junior season, as did the San Francisco Giants in the 21st round of the 2011 draft. Triggs was an integral part of the weekend starting rotation all four years he played, serving as the staff’s ace his last three years. He leaves USC with a 3.74 ERA and an impressive 269 strikeouts to just 89 walks. His senior year he had career bests in ERA at 3.49, innings pitched at 105 2/3 and strikeouts with 85.

Viramontes was selected next, going in the 28th round (875th overall) to the Milwaukee Brewers. Viramontes was selected in the 27th round by the New York Yankees in 2010, but chose to transfer from Loyola Marymount to play one last season at USC. He became an integral part of the Trojan bullpen this season, posting a 3.14 ERA with five saves.

Hershiser was taken in the 34th round (1046th overall) by the Los Angeles Dodgers, the organization with which his father Orel had tremendous success. The younger Hershiser was hampered by injury for much of his Trojan career, but his athletic 6-foot-8, 245-pound build demonstrate real potential.