USC’s Haley Anderson makes Olympic team

USC senior All-American Haley Anderson earned a spot on the USA Olympic swim team, finishing in first place at the FINA Olympic marathon swim qualifier in Setubal, Portugal.

Going for gold · Senior Haley Anderson will compete for the United States in the 2012 Olympics in London this summer. - Photo courtesy of Sports Information

Anderson, one of two Americans in the race, just beat out Hungary’s Eva Rlsztov by 1.4 seconds for the win (1:44:30.6). Anderson needed to beat Ashley Twichell, the other American in the race, and finish in the top 10 overall to qualify for the Olympics. Twichell finished fourth with a time of 1:44:37.7.

Anderson, who won her first NCAA title in March, is a three-time conference champion. She holds USC records in the 1,000-yard freestyle, 1,650-yard freestyle, and 800-yard freestyle relay, along with a USC pool record in the 500-yard freestyle.

Anderson’s next event is the U.S. swimming indoor trials in Omaha, Neb., on June 25, where she hopes to strengthen her Olympic schedule.

1. Dianne Masluk
    Dianne Masluk says:

So proud of you Haley! We are all excited for you. We are sending happy thoughts and special
    Wishes for great swims in your pool events at Olympic Trials! Loved trading about all your accomplishments. Dianne