Beyoncé to headline Superbowl halftime show

The Super Bowl halftime show is set to get another boost from a pop superstar after it was confirmed Tuesday that Beyoncé will be headlining the performance.

While there had been some speculation that the former Destiny’s Child frontwoman would be the next to
perform at one of America’s largest televised events, the Associated Press was able to confirm the news
after the singer posted a picture of herself sporting eye black emblazoned with the date of Super Bowl
XLVII on her Tumblr page.

The last Super Bowl featured Madonna performing with guests CeeLo Green, Nicki Minaj, LMFAO and M.I.A., and according to the Nielsen Co. her performance was seen by 114 million people, or nearly 3 million more than the actual game itself. Beyoncé’s show could potentially top those staggering numbers – which were the highest ever for a Super Bowl halftime show – especially if she brings in guest performers like husband Jay-Z or former Destiny’s Child bandmates Kelly Rowland and Michelle Williams.

The choice shows that Super Bowl organizers may have finally begun to move past 2004’s infamous “wardrobe malfunction” incident with Janet Jackson, after which they went through a six-year string of old-timers with a lesser chance of controversy, including Paul McCartney, Tom Petty and Bruce Springsteen.