Group protests USC apparel from sweatshops

To protest the labor practices involved in producing USC apparel, students — dressed in recycled materials ranging from newspapers to plastic bags — assembled in front of Tommy Trojan for a runway show Wednesday.

Fashion statement · USC’s Student Coalition Against Labor Exploitation holds an alternative fashion show on campus Wednesday to raise awareness of unfair labor practices. – Maddy Campion | Daily Trojan

Student Coalition Against Labor Exploitation  wants the university to use an independent monitor to audit factories that produce USC apparel, according to the event’s organizer Sarah Newell, who is a sophomore majoring in business administration.

“We want the students to know this,” Newell said, “so we can gather as a student body and pressure USC to sign on to the Workers Rights Consortium … which would monitor USC’s factories fairly and ensure that all the workers there are being treated fairly.”

The fashion show, in which students walked down a runway in what Newell called “garbage clothes,” meant to show the students’ dislike for clothes produced in sweatshops.

“This year we wanted to send a message that we would rather wear garbage than wear USC sweatshop clothing,” Newell said. “We would rather wear newspapers and trash bags and the stuff I found in the back of my closet than USC sweatshop clothing.”

Curran said the university opposes sweatshop labor and has taken measures to prevent its usage. In 2008, USC instituted new policies for its licensees, which led to about 130 licensees leaving the program because they could not or did not want to comply with the new regulations.

“There’s been a long history of working to try and address the issue of sweatshop labor,” Curran said. “Obviously, it’s something the university does not support and we agreed with SCALE that we are all against it.”

Currently, the university requires licensed companies producing USC products to sign a code of conduct and hire third-party auditors to review their factories. According to Matt Curran, director of USC’s licensing and trademark programs, requirements such as these limit the amount of licensees the university approves.

“On average in a given year, we will receive over 100 license applications,” Curran said. “Right around 15 percent meet the criteria to become a licensee and really a large part of that is due to the social responsibility standards and requirements we have.”

Newell said the group feels that relying on private third-party auditors can lead to inadequate reviews. She said these monitors are often unreliable and their reports are not always accurate.

“They are using four monitors right now that are all funded by the brands they are monitoring,” Newell said. “Nike is funding the company monitoring Nike factories, so obviously you get things like factory visits that are planned in advance so they can clean up all the stuff at the factory.”

Curran said the university is informed when issues appear in audits.

“That information is shared with us and if there are issues, they are identified,” Curran said. “We do expect the licensees to work with the factories and any other stakeholders to try and make those corrections and make sure they are addressed.”

The rally was a response to a 10-year agreement USC signed with Silver Star Merchandising, a Dallas Cowboys subsidiary, last year to produce the university’s athletic apparel. Newell said Silver Star Merchandising, known as 289c Apparel, has a history of labor violations.

Curran, however, said the agreement deal will cause USC apparel to be produced in fewer factories, allowing for greater oversight, The agreement also came with a commitment that 289c Apparel will increase its efforts to improve working conditions.

“As a result, they have added additional, dedicated staff and are actively in discussions with industry experts and industry organizations to develop and implement programs to positively impact factory working conditions,” Curran wrote in an email.

SCALE believes that if USC joins the Workers Rights Consortium, an independent monitor for collegiate apparel, conditions in factories producing USC apparel will improve. One hundred and seventy five other universities have signed onto the consortium, according to the WRC’s website.

“All of the Ivies, all of the UCs, all of the Cal States — every other major university, for the most part — have signed on,” Newell said.

Josh Sepulveda, a spring admit who will be joining the sophomore class, joined the demonstration because USC has not signed on to the WRC. Sepulveda, who wore shorts and a shirt made entirely of plastic bags, said he heard about SCALE because of a semi-nude protest they held last year.

“It seems like they made a big ruckus around campus [last year],” Sepulveda said. “And I’m all for making ruckuses and making chaos, but for a good cause.”

Last year, administrators met with SCALE to get more information about USC joining the WRC.

“Dating back to last year, we gave them a set of questions and requests for more detailed information on how the WRC operates, and we did that to try to evaluate the associated costs, the tangible value that a WRC membership would bring to our social responsibility programming beyond our current efforts,” Curran said.

According to Curran, students in SCALE are currently researching and gathering the information that administrators requested.

“We believe an ongoing, open dialogue is the most constructive way for us to work together,” Curran wrote in an e-mail.

1. Trevor
    Trevor says:

Well, I learned today that many “alums” still don’t know what fear mongering and a strawman argument are. Hopefully these people don’t claim to represent USC outside this forum, as that would just be embarrassing…

2. Alum Tim
    Alum Tim says:

I expect nothing good to come from any of these self-absorbed SCALE people. They might be the SC version of the black bandana crowd that break windows and causes untold mayhem. Sad these people don’t give a damn about Americans

• Manny
      Manny says:

Even coming from someone not affiliated with this organization, your assumptions are outstanding. And why don’t they give a damn about Americans, in your “mind”?

Your post is just proof that not everyone coming out of USC really deserved to.

• Alum Tim
        Alum Tim says:

I’ll take “outstanding” as a compliment and I must be hitting a little to close to the truth.

Maybe you need stop keying BMWs to prove you are down with the cause?

You would probably be more comfortable at Berkeley but likely the “America Haters named Manny” quota was filled when you applied.

• Manny
          Manny says:

Maybe spell “too” right before you try to discredit me. It must be difficult for you to watch this, knowing there’s nothing you can do but post dumb posts online – I don’t even support this group, yet the uninformed loathing for it is laughable to me. You still haven’t answered my question, but I expected that.

• Alum Tim
            Alum Tim says:

Manuel,

SCALE is lucky to have you protecting the internet! Obviously, you can’t let the truth get out that you are small inconsequential leftist hate group operating behind enemy lines at USC.

We laugh at you, your cause and especially your silly group!

• Anonymous
      Anonymous says:

As a point of clarification, SCALE also runs a local campaign that focuses on helping workers in America. In addition to their mission to help workers abroad, they work hard to make sure that USC workers here in America are treated fairly and have humane working conditions.

3. Trevor
    Trevor says:

Wow… why is this group considered communist? Just because they are behind better working conditions? I guess all you angry vets fought for “free speech” – that is, one can speak as long as it’s in line with what you vets want. Let’s understand, gentleman, that this isn’t free at all.

• John '55
      John '55 says:

I don’t expect you to have the maturity at 18 or 19 to understand that your freedom came a heavy price to the men of my generation.

Speak all you want because no one is listening.

• Trevor
        Trevor says:

You assume I’m still in college. Quite the fallacy. And you haven’t answered my question. I get that freedom has a price, but if you think the true freedom is the one that is most convenient for a group like yours, then you still don’t get it.

• Manny
        Manny says:

I suppose sticking your head in the sand is one way to go, John. You claim to fight for free speech and then call those that choose to benefit from it entitled and communists and get all your vet buddies on here to attack a cause that has nothing to do with you, all because for whatever reason you don’t agree with their premise.

Don’t you love the irony that trying to quiet groups you don’t seem to like actually gives them more publicity? Hmmm… Quieting a group, aka suppressing them, because they don’t share your viewpoint… all after you fought against it. Makes you sound like a bit of a hypocrite, don’t you agree?

It really is a pity watching you try to tell current students like me what to do. It’s not advice, mind you, just ordering and suppression. “Speak all you want because no one is listening”… Sounds a bit like how these SCALE members (and myself, independently) will treat your worthless, confused, and out of touch diatribes.

4. Ogla
    Ogla says:

There has to be a way to keep these old people from posting. They are making us look terrible on the internet.

5. Afrocentricity
    Afrocentricity says:

Ryan and other SCALE members. I truly speak to you with a truthful heart. Listen, think, and change.

What I see here is the eventual outcome of the corruption of the european-capitalist construct. Ryan, Sam and Gabe you were programmed from birth to believe in a false premise. That you, through work and achievement, earned merit. What your parents did not tell you is that the system is fixed. Heads you win. Tails we lose. Deep in your hearts you know that what you have has been stolen. What you have has been historically hoodwinked from others. It is this that compels you to frivolous causes like SCALE.

You see the injustice in your hearts. You react to injustice throught the prism of priviledge.

• Anonymous
      Anonymous says:

If you intend to make me feel bad, you have failed. Let’s be real—Africa is not central to much of anything, and it will remain that way for the foreseeable future. Your ancestors should have joined mine in walking north millennia ago.

6. SC Mom
    SC Mom says:

I am very surprised at the level of vitriol in this discussion. I would hope as fellow Trojans and proud members of rival Greek organizations that you could meet and resolve your issues as members of the Trojan Family. My son, a current student, and I have been watching the discussion descending into name calling and slurs against men who have proudly served our country. Nothing could be lower in our opinion. We hope all can be resolved with handshakes and sincerely apologies among righteous men.

God Bless!

7. Sam
    Sam says:

I must say I am stunned by all this…. Many of these posts are all emotional, but only a few stand on an actual base of informative opinion…This is USC, and we are all a part of it…Trojan family that sticks to the Trojan way…we are Faithful,Scholarly, Skillful, Courageous, and Ambitious. Please remember that when commenting on here. We are entitled to our opinion and it hurts me to see you all talking so offensively to one another. If you are here at USC it is because you are believed to be able to hold such morals. Whether you are a student or an administrator or alumni…it all comes down to this question, is USC following their Codes of Ethics? USC stands for something amazing, and to be part of it means alot to me. So why are we all fighting like this and disrespecting ourselves because a group wants to make sure that everything that has to do with USC follows their morals and codes of conduct? I would be offended if this group took a stand for something such as going against other groups such as LGBT or Women’s Assembly…etc…No one is being harmed, in fact it appears that the main goal is to minimize harm being caused in making something simple such as clothing for USC apparell…So what is the actual problem here? We live in an economic world anyways where one thing will always affect another.

• Johnny
      Johnny says:

Very well put, Sam. Attacking current USC students because they disagree with your views is, ironically, sophomoric. But replying in emotional language that descends to that level is unworthy of the level of discourse those same current students want to promote.

I can say, on a personal basis, that the undergraduates involved in SCALE are amongst the very best informed, passionate, and intellectually curious in the student body. They show a commitment to improve both their campus and the world that should be applauded, not attacked. USC could use a lot more activism: religious and secular, Democrat and Republican, and on a variety of issues.

On the issues in question, there is much to be said for labor in the developing world exporting products to the developed world. Multinational wages tend to pay higher than local industries. But what SCALE are talking about are some of the most basic of decent working conditions. This is a view supported by labor unions, the Catholic Church, and a large swathe of public opinion. So before ignorantly labeling people ‘Communists’, perhaps you might pick some bigger targets first?

Anyway, here is to more and higher quality debate both online and on campus.

8. Bob T
    Bob T says:

I am also angry about these offensive internet posts and the communist clothing show on campus intended to offend veterans. You should all be ashamed!

Before you air-condition the third world why not do some good here in American. There are plenty of good people on hard times who could use an air-conditioner in their home.

Do some good here in our country first!

• Manny
      Manny says:

What about this group is intended to offend veterans? Are you implying that veterans are wholeheartedly and actively in support of sub-standard working conditions outside of America?

While I agree with you about focusing on America and its people, I certainly don’t think the focus on other lives outside our own is mutually exclusive, ESPECIALLY if America is going to try and be a global moral police directly (Iraq) or indirectly (Libya).

Let’s not belabor this last point of mine – answer my first questions. I’m honestly curious as to why so many veterans (to whom I am thankful for their service in whatever amount) are offended by this.

• Ryan
      Ryan says:

Oh, no doubt there is a lot that could be done for our fellow Americans in these difficult times. That’s why SCALE is as committed to working for worker’s rights here in the US as well as abroad.

I personally am not a communist. I’m not sure if you’ll believe me; you seem pretty convinced otherwise. I have no idea if there are any communists in SCALE. We don’t ask our members to disclose their political beliefs before joining. But I can speak for myself when I say that I am in fact a devoted capitalist who furthermore believes that capitalism can be one of the strongest forces for freedom and progress — not to mention prosperity — all around the world. I think you’ll find that most people in SCALE merely ask that within the capitalist system everybody play by the rules. In some of the countries where USC apparel is made, the conditions of the factories directly violate the laws of those nations, not to mention USC’s own code of conduct. I also think it’s not impossible to believe in the tenets of capitalism while balancing it with a desire for basic human rights and dignity.

Moving on to matters significantly weightier than my political affiliation and philosophy, I’m not sure how SCALE has taken on this sudden reputation for being anti-veteran. I feel safer asserting that neither I nor anyone in SCALE has anything but utmost respect for anyone who’s willing to lay down their life to defend their country. I owe a debt of gratitude to every veteran for protecting the same American rights that allow us to participate in SCALE in the first place. God knows there are loads of countries still today where a student demonstration like this one wouldn’t fly. I assure you that anything that has given the impression that SCALE feels any sense of antipathy towards the troops has been misinterpreted.

• John '55
        John '55 says:

Sounds like more poppycock if you ask me. Regardless, your belated half-hearted apology is accepted by me but I obviously don’t speak for all veterans and those that honorably served this great nation. Next time try not to offend those that made your freedom to dress up like a fool in garbage bags possible.

“Hauck” is German Catholic I believe. My oldest brother Clarance died on a beach in Anzio at the hands of your brethren in January, 1944. He was killed by 20mm fire from ME109 that strafed his position on the beach. His entire platoon was wiped out in seconds. He and his mates are buried in Italy (that is where Anzio is) at the American Cemetery in Florence. Clarance didn’t deserve or want to get killed for you but he did anyway.

• John '55
        John '55 says:

Sounds like claptrap if you ask me. Regardless, your belated half-hearted apology is accepted by me but I obviously don’t speak for all veterans and those that honorably served this great nation. Next time try not to offend those that made your freedom to dress up like a clown in garbage bags possible.

“Hauck” is German I believe. My oldest brother Clarence died on a beach in Anzio at the hands of your brethren in January, 1944. He was killed by 20mm fire from ME109 that strafed his position on the beach. His entire platoon was wiped out in seconds. He and his mates are buried in Italy (that is where Anzio is) at the American Cemetery in Florence. Clarence didn’t deserve or want to get killed for you but he did anyway.

• Ryan
          Ryan says:

Hauck is in fact German but it was actually the name of my grandfather’s step-father. His mother had him take it before he enlisted so she could claim his remains in case he didn’t come back.

• George
          George says:

How unbelievably self-righteous. I am all for supporting the troops, but you’re just starting to take advantage of it now. You seriously associated this guy because of his supposed nationality with Nazis from the 40’s by implying they’re his “brethren.” How out of touch can you get? I too come from German heritage. Does that make me the enemy?

9. Trojan Alumnus
    Trojan Alumnus says:

I am very disappointed to learn of the anti-US posts to this website and offensive remarks about GIs and veterans by current students and this scale group. This type of offensive posting has no place at USC. Why any school paper allows communist groups get promotion is beyond me.

Your communist ideology has joined the dust heap of history and it’s time you people got some respect for those that fought and died for you!

Disappointed Alum

• Manny
      Manny says:

My God, are you listening to yourself? What about this group is communist? Again, I don’t have support one way or another regarding this article, but your dribble is no better.

10. holly2valley
    holly2valley says:

So can i ask why the Greek system has not been allowed to participate in this fundraiser?
    As a member of the Panhellenic council we would be interested in holding an event to support CASE. We could involve the IFC and maybe do an all night dance a thon?? Or a part
    y called drink a case for CASE??

11. Afrocentricity
    Afrocentricity says:

Ryan Hauck = Raczist
    SCALE + Priviledge = Frivolous

Let me break it down for you. Ryan and SCALE have revealed themselves for who they really are through their sometimes ANONYMOUS and sometimes NOT posts. But it doesn’t surprise me that even the suburban leftists of this very white and historically moneyed University are themselves the oppressors that will soon demand that we bend a knee. Ryan get real or get lost.

12. Ryan Hauck
    Ryan Hauck says:

Obviously this is an issue which inspires a lot of emotion. So for anybody who’s against SCALE, you have my full name. Message me on Facebook, and the next time I’m on campus I give you my address so you can come and hit me in the face if that makes you feel better. And I’ll just take it. But if anyone here insults Sarah Newell, I will hit back, because I’ve never met another person more incredible or passionate than her.

• SC Mom
      SC Mom says:

Ryan,

I am not sure what the purpose is to allow yourself to beaten up by others. I believe men have every right to defend themselves against transgressors and non-believers. Further, I am not sure why the African American gentlemen is calling you a racist. Sometimes those people simmer with such rage against our country which has given so much blood and treasure to ease the pain of past injustice to their race.

My son is fellow student of yours. I spoke with him last night and asked if he knew who were since you gave out your last name, Hauck. Though he does not know you personally and you are not listed as a member of a Greek organization we both prayed for you last night. We prayed that you might find peace in His Word and follow the path toward salvation.

My son has found ultimate peace in His Word and ministers the faith to other students and members of his fraternity. As did I many years ago, he is Christian missionary and preaches to the poor of the Third World. Last year he spent the entire summer in Indonesia on a mission. If you don’t know, Indonesia is an island in the far southwest Pacific. Without a doubt he saved many from damnation on his summer mission.

Not to belittle your efforts here but don’t you think having fashion shows in Los Angeles is helping the poor in far away places like Indonesia. These people overseas have plenty of work but lack the peace that comes from knowing His Word. My son says they have all the necessities to live (tv’s, radios, cars, food and yes air-conditioning) but not a Bible in their local language. You might better serve these people overseas by helping to spread His Word.

God Bless!

• Ryan
        Ryan says:

SC Mom,

Naturally taking a punch isn’t my idea of a good time. It was more to make a point about the level of hatred that this issue has inspired instead of the civil debate that it deserves (not that I’m blameless on this front; however I doubt that anyone who comes to the table thinking I’m a communist or — bizarrely — a racist is going to be persuaded). Quite simply, if somebody is willing to hit another person in the face because they don’t agree with them, I think it’s rather telling, but I’m more than happy to oblige. A lot of these students clearly just need to get something out of their system.

Now I think we can both agree that the world would be a better place if everyone followed Jesus’ example of caring for the poor and needy. I don’t think the fashion show that SCALE put on directly helped any worker in the third world. I doubt that anyone thinks that. I think our greatest chance to make a real impact is to inspire change at USC’s administrative level. But in terms of raising publicity for our cause, I would say that based on this comment thread the event was a rousing success.

13. TrojanSig '48
    TrojanSig '48 says:

Protests? Fashion Shows? Workers rights? SCALE? What a bunch of nonsense. How about hitting the books or visiting the library with all this free time on your hands? You might also consider joining a social club or fraternity as an outlet for all your extra energy. Where and how USC acquires its clothing is none of your business. Start your own University if you don’t agree, but don’t criticize my alma mater.

One more thing. I could care less what the “ivies” do. This is USC and we do it our way. Or at least we did when I was in school.

• Current Student
      Current Student says:

Well I responded to this before but I guess it didn’t show up, so I’ll try to reproduce that response as best I can.

If you aren’t a current USC student, than you have no place lecturing current students what they should and shouldn’t concern themselves with. After all, when your generation was in school, racism was still institutionalized.

SCALE is the best “social club” I’ve ever been a member of. And as far as “hitting the books” goes, I’ll have you know I have a 3.75 and I’m studying abroad at the London School of Economics. So unless you served in WWII (which I bet you got out of on an academic deferment. And this is coming from someone who plans on serving his country) I think I have you beat.

And I thought the elder generations were supposed to be wise.

• Current Student
        Current Student says:

Oh, my first response finally showed up. I apologize for posting twice, but not for anything else.

• Current Student
          Current Student says:

Alright, I have to ask what the deal is with the Daily Trojan comments thread. I make a comment, it shows up, it’s gone, it shows up again, it’s gone again. So now my first post is once again not showing up. It’s a pity because my second one contains what in retrospect is a pretty stupid comment about academic deferments which I’m fairly certain weren’t awarded during WWII. I feel as if I owe an apology to any veterans who left school to fight in the war or who only got the opportunity to attend school on the GI bill. That being said, for the most part it’s irrelevant to my little dialogue with TrojanSig here, because I’ve realized at this point that he really has nothing worthwhile to say.

Other point missing from my second comment that was in the first: I’m proud to be at SC. Personally I’ve always thought we were better than the ivies anyway. So let’s start acting like it.

• John '55
            John '55 says:

Dear Current Student, Commies and Malcontents,

I was on the SC Vets webpage checking in on old friends and saw a link button to this worthless article and your comments about GIs and veterans. I’m so mad at you kids, I don’t know what I won’t do or say. I’m not alone either!

Men fought and died for lily livered punks like you to post trash on the internet. Your generation with your overly entitled parents’ generation has nearly destroyed this country.

USC was once a great institution where people worked hard to get good grades and succeeded in life through those same values. Today, you kids are all about taking things you never earned. Give me, give me, give me…because I want it!

I have made a lot of money in my time by working hard, saving, investing and a little luck. Most things you kids likely don’t understand and never will. Up until a few years ago I made regular large donations to USC. I gave less during the Obama years (soon to be over) as my rate of return dropped to almost nothing but I still gave more than I should. Now after reading your comments and this dribble about the poor and unwashed of the third world needing air-conditioned factories and longer lunch breaks, I want to vomit.

I’m keeping my money until they clean the trash out of USC! Get rid of these thankless spoiled children with nothing to offer.

John K.
            Proud American!
            SC Trojan ’55
            187th Airborne Regimental Combat Team Retired – Korean War Vet
            Husband, Father and Grandfather, etc…
            More than you’ll ever be, Punk!

• Manny
            Manny says:

Generalize much, John ’55? Look, there’s always going to be “trash” students in every generation. Trust me, I went to school with quite the litter in some areas. However, there are plenty of bright, hard-working students like myself who don’t ask for special treatment and even take it as an insult if it is given to them.

I ask both young and old Trojans trashing this group: what is wrong with this group called SCALE? Why do you take it so personally (other than to troll), instructing everyone to “hit the books” (TrojanSig ’48) instead or calling it a bunch of “stupid stunts” (Gabriel)? These groups aren’t imposing on you, so what do you care? They’re just out to get behind a cause. I don’t support nor condemn this group (hell, I just read about it now), but I feel every member has a right to this protest – isn’t that what you vets out there fought for: freedom of speech? In addition, every college student’s experience is different. I, for one, was heavily academic and pretty athletic, but there are plenty of students out there who go to USC for other reasons: music, art, etc. No one’s experience is the same. So to just condemn this group as a waste of time (you old farts) is a waste of breath – they’re not going to just stop because you said so, nor should they have to. You have your own life; quit imposing on and judging theirs.

And John, quit acting like the world is ending because of “our generation.” Our generation is about to be handed a large debt bill courtesy of those older than us, like yourself, who cannot seem to control spending, and will probably never see the Social Security dollars we dole out that people like you benefit from. And enough with the generalization that our generation is the only entitled one. The past decade has been one of entitlement for all generations – it’s the consumer culture, which, by the way, is exporting this type of tough labor to other countries to lower costs and maintain availability to feed our country’s material appetites.

And let me get this straight: you want to “vomit” at other countries having decent (I won’t say humane because I don’t want to get into this whole argument) working conditions? If this procedure was done in America, would you feel the same way? My guess is no, especially considering all the men and women in uniform (thank you and them for your and their service, by the way) that have to take many of these manufacturing jobs because our veteran work system structure is flimsy and because there aren’t many jobs out there anyway in most sectors.

Why do you consider this article “worthless,” anyway? Is it because you don’t agree with the premise or group? If so, fine, but to condemn anything against your hard-headed beliefs is pathetic, as is going on some ignorant rant against those in our generation. Are some of the posts here garbage? Yes, but yours is no better. You certainly don’t represent a “mature, unentitled” generation very well.

• TrojanSig '48
        TrojanSig '48 says:

3.75 GPA? Does that make you a proud little guy? The pot smoking professors of this generation hand out grades like they are handing out candy on Halloween. You have earned nothing until you do it in the real world. And yes I have been very successful. And I deserve it. And the last time I checked, the Daily Trojan is for everyone not just sniveling current students like yourself.

• Current Student
          Current Student says:

It does actually. I’m not quite at the age that anything I do in the real world counts, but I look forward to making a far larger impact than you ever did.

At the very least I’m glad to have the whole of my life in front of me, instead of behind me like an aging waste of oxygen with nothing better to do but read his old college newspaper online.

• Anonymous
            Anonymous says:

I’m a senior in Viterbi with a higher GPA than yours and it’s total bs. Nothing to be proud of. Let’s be real—grades are easy, and they don’t count for anything.

• Current Student
          Current Student says:

No, I actually agree with Anonymous, for the first time about anything that my 3.75 gpa is pretty meaningless. I kind of do feel a need to apologize about all of my comments towards Trojan, not because I disagree with SCALE, but mostly because the more I realize that he’s actually a veteran, the worst I feel about the way I treated him. My comments were mostly a combination of resentment of his discounting of my achievements/intelligence and a Freudian sense of anger towards the death of my grandfather who was a WWII veteran who I imagine had very similar ideas with TrojanSig. I do in fact believe in the concept of the Greatest Generation and this sense of entitlement that my own generation has, but I don’t believe my involvement with SCALE is a result of that of that sense but rather a resistance towards it. Look, TrojanSig and I have very different opinions, but the more obvious it becomes that he was a veteran, the more I respect him. I felt this way for a couple days, but resisted against admitting it because of the satisfaction I knew it would bring Anonymous, who I still think is a terribly annoying person.

• Anonymous
        Anonymous says:

(1) My GPA as a senior in a major far harder than yours is higher than yours. By your logic, I win.

(2) Why should I have any respect for LSE? The whole scandal that led to Davies’ resignation demonstration their total lack of institutional control. And as for Satoshi Kanazawa… enough said.

• George
          George says:

Someone just likes to be a contrarian, or maybe just a troll. I’m in Viterbi as well, but my major isn’t a cakewalk. I do the hard work, learn a lot, and get rewarded. And what might be yours?

• TrojanSig '48
        TrojanSig '48 says:

I am proud. It’s you and your kind that disgust me. Grow up. Take a shower. Go to class. And shut up.

14. SC Mom
    SC Mom says:

I’m not sure what the problem is here. Air-conditioning units are not that expensive. I worked as a Christian missionary in Central American in the 80s and we installed those a/c units in all sorts of houses and buildings for free. Usually the biggest problem was finding a working electrical outlet. Best of luck in helping these people not work in such hot places!

• Afrocentricity
      Afrocentricity says:

You know what I see? I see a lot of rich, privileged white kids and their half-baked cracker parents laying down noise that does not address the true issues of justice and reparations. You want to stand up for air conditioning and workers rights over there? Well let me show you how America was built, understand. With STOLEN labor on STOLEN land. You need to fix what you stole and broke right here!

Agitate, educate, organize!

• Anonymous
        Anonymous says:

If you are implying that the land here was stolen, you are wrong; it was conquered. If you are implying that slaves here were stolen, you are also wrong; they were purchased by the slavers in Africa. In neither case is there any justification for reparations of any kind.

• Afrocentricity
          Afrocentricity says:

Oh yes. Post behind your anonymity. Hide in the shadows with your white flowing sheets. Cover your head with a hood to hide your shame. Your lack of fundamental historical context reveals your deep seated ignorance and hate.

• Anonymous
            Anonymous says:

Of course you can’t now, and to suggest that one should have the right to do so today in a civilized society would be absurd. As an admirer of Boas, however, I reject the initial contention that reparations are warranted as penance for the actions of others in the past.

15. Teresa
    Teresa says:

Matt Curran, I am so disappointed in you. Instead of doing the right thing, you’re espousing the same mistruths your predecessors have been parroting for over a decade.

The University of Texas finally decided to stop the excuses and to sign onto the WRC just last summer; why won’t you side with students in demanding humane conditions for workers, instead of repeating the empty excuses in defense of serial abusers of human rights? The Dallas Cowboys have no leverage in its contracted factories to change sweatshop conditions. I’d like to see public records exposing the relationship between your salary and that of other USC administrators and the size of these grandiose sweatshop licensing contracts.

• Admin 2307b
      Admin 2307b says:

EDC Staff,
      Please make sure to delete comment 83425 as it includes defamatory statements. These nuts need to get a life!

• Ryan
        Ryan says:

You have no clue what you are talking about. There’s nothing in Teresa’s statement that could be considered defamatory. It’s all either opinion or the truth as far as she knows.

It seems to me that you’d rather just have this forum wiped of any opinion which you disagree with.

And posting under the name “Admin 2307b” doesn’t make your post look official like you might hope. It makes it look desperate.

16. Gabriel
    Gabriel says:

I’m so sick of these third world bashing SCALE people and their stupid stunts.

DT Staff, it’s time to stop promoting these fools and start covering more LGBTQ issues.

• Ray
      Ray says:

First of all, I do not speak for SCALE as a whole, but I think it is important to note that it is NOT our intention to end the livelihood of other individuals–“third world,” (as you say) or not.

We simply seek to make sure that conditions in the places where USC clothing are made are good FOR workers. Often it requires no more than making sure local laws–or the USC Workplace Code of Conduct–are being followed.

I couldn’t agree more that there are OTHER equally–if not more–important issues to discuss; and these are often interrelated. However, I do not think that an article on this event takes away from how the DT covers any other topic! If anything I’d feel safer saying a lot of us in SCALE care about many other issues and would agree with you here on a lack of LGBTQ coverage!

• George
        George says:

@ Ray and the rest of the SCALE Fools,
        Why don’t you go and break some windows at Starbucks to show everyone how you fight the Man?

• Ryan
          Ryan says:

Don’t pigeonhole us as radicals, George. Nothing makes me sicker than individuals who commit acts of vandalism in the name of some misguided Leftist vision which they can neither articulate nor grasp.

But if you consider standing up for the basic rights of all humans — no matter if they live in LA or southeast Asia — to be radical, then I guess I’m guilty as charged.

• Gabriel
            Gabriel says:

Just for fun,
            Go back and read the previous SCALE articles in the DT. You will not see a more insecure bunch of wacky Marxist (SCALE) who must respond to every comment about what they do and their motives. They apparently are very concerned about their propaganda being taken seriously and they think people read this crap.

Ryan, I dare you not to respond! Show me you are above this and can control yourself.

BTW: Check those bad sunglasses you wear and tell me where they were made…

Hypocrite!

• Ryan Hauck
            Ryan Hauck says:

I was tempting to reply critically, but I’d rather prove you wrong Gabriel.

You’re free to disagree with SCALE, but I would just like to let you know that long before I was involved in economic causes, I was counterprotesting the Westboro Baptist Church on behalf of the LGBTQ community.

17. Ryan
    Ryan says:

To “Anonymous.”

Whether or not sweatshops are truly beneficial to the third world is a debate I think we could all benefit from. But after the bizarrely personal tone of your comment your extremely offensive use of the word “retarded,” I think we can all agree that it would be incredibly beneficial to the US for you to go and work in a sweatshop.

Cheers.

• Jack
      Jack says:

Don’t be a retard. It’s only an offensive word to people with the most uptight of sensibilities, and those people suck.

• Ryan
        Ryan says:

Ok, so you would be comfortable explaining to a mother of a child with mental delays that using the word “retarded” to refer to people who Anonymous in this case thinks are stupid or uninformed is only offensive to people who are uptight? Because it seems to me that Anonymous is associating SCALE with a certain group of people to disparage both.

There is a difference between being overly politically correct and being respectful. I’m willing to concede that there are times when it goes too far. This isn’t one of them.

• Anonymous
          Anonymous says:

I would feel comfortable explaining that. I do not believe that all people have the same inherent value, and I do not believe that they will all contribute to society equally. Mentally retarded individuals and retards like the Marxists in SCALE will both have the same impact: nothing. I don’t mean that maliciously; it is simply the truth.

18. Anonymous
    Anonymous says:

People like this are retarded. Sweatshops are incredibly beneficial to third-world countries. Take an economics class and grow up.

19. SCALE Alum
    SCALE Alum says:

Go SCALE!

It’s unfortunate that our school isn’t displaying the kind of leadership necessary to stop sweatshops and protect the global Trojan Family. USC, we believe you can do better!