Poll explores feelings on immigration

Most Californians favor strong law enforcement policies against illegal immigration but are willing to make exceptions for children who came to the United States illegally, according to the latest USC Dornsife / Los Angeles Times poll, released Sunday.

The poll shows that most California voters support the DREAM Act, the law that allows certain undocumented immigrants who came to the United States as children to receive temporary or permanent residency if they have completed a certain amount of education or military service. About 69 percent of voters surveyed said they favor the policy, and 24 percent said they opposed it. The policy found even greater support among Latino voters: 84 percent said they support the DREAM Act.

Despite Californians’ sympathy for DREAM-ers, voters still showed strong support for a tough law enforcement crackdown on illegal immigration. Sixty percent of voters said they would like to see stronger National Guard troop presence on the border. Only 29 percent of voters said they would oppose an increased presence.

Similarly, many respondents said they do not think illegal immigrants should receive taxpayer-funded social services such as non-emergency health care and public education. Forty-six percent of voters said they would like to restrict these services to legal residents only while 44 percent said they would allow illegal immigrants to use these services.