Point/Counterpoint: Discussing partisan politics

Elena Kadvany | Point: Partisanship cannot continue as is

My initial reaction to the news that President Barack Obama was re-elected was relief, not excitement.

I was relieved that the leader I believe in gets another four years to prove himself to those who don’t believe in him the way I do, and to continue the critical efforts he has made to improve this country.

On the Rachel Maddow Show this week, she suggested that the 2012 campaign was so dominated by slander, polarization and false accusations that these very significant efforts have been rendered almost invisible. He repealed don’t ask, don’t tell. He ended the War in Iraq and brought American troops home from Afghanistan, as promised. He oversaw the assassination of Osama bin Laden. He reinvigorated the American auto industry. He signed the nation’s largest job stimulus bill in history into law. He elected two women to the Supreme Court, one of them the first Hispanic Supreme Court justice in the history of the United States. He openly endorsed gay marriage. Just this week, he officially signed his student loan relief program into law.

But for some reason, all of those incredibly varied, critically important accomplishments got lost in the flood of negative ad campaigns, billions of dollars, binders full of women, and deepening divides between parties and people.

The thing is, just because the election is over does not guarantee that all of that is coming to an end. And what would be the most dangerous for Americans and this country’s future is if the partisanship — that increased to epic proportions during Obama’s first term and this election season — would continue as is, and further hinder the progress that the country desperately needs to make.

And though Obama is the best man for the job, even he cannot guarantee a fix for arguably the greatest problem we face in the next four years.

The real challenge now, for Obama, Democrats, Republicans, politicians and Americans alike is figuring out how to work together. It is time to move past the craziness of the past couple of months and for everyone on both sides, whether they supported Obama, Romney or someone else, to commit to the next generation of decision-making and nation building.

________________________________________________________________________________________

Burke Gibson | Counterpoint: In defense of bipartisan politics

The 2012 presidential election has been rightfully criticized for allowing the divide between the Republican and Democratic parties to interfere with the integrity of the election itself. It’s led to too many personal attacks and not enough focus on real issues, and has caused gridlock in the House of Representatives and the Senate — in an Election Day blog post, Google co-founder Sergey Brin called the government a “bonfire of partisanship” and requested that whichever candidate wins run the country as an independent.

It’s easy to criticize the inefficiencies in our current system, but do we really have another option? The concept of “Republican vs. Democrat” goes back to America’s origins, when Federalists and Republicans were competing for similar elected positions. Two-party politics is part of American culture and has proven relatively effective over the last couple hundred years; attempting to change such an ingrained part of society would be too monumental a task for us to see any real change in the near future.

And even if it was possible to change to a multi-party system, there’s no guarantee it would work. Having multiple prominent parties could leave more people unsatisfied with the results of an election, and groups would have the ability to focus on specific issues rather than a complete platform. There’s a reason the number of political parties tends to be limited even in other countries: The only way to run a country effectively is to have a broad enough platform to cover most important issues, which few parties have the resources to manage.

Rather than criticize the bipartisan system itself, we should be looking for ways to make it more efficient and streamlined. Essentially, our politicians need to start behaving as servants of the state first and servants of their parties second. We’ve seen the opposite recently — Republicans have shot down bills in the house, including one that would have provided aid to veterans over five years, solely to prevent President Barack Obama’s re-election. And the Democrats haven’t been on their best behavior, either: There has been no shortage of below-the-belt campaign advertisements, and Obama has a lot of work before he even comes close to fulfilling some of the promises he made before his first term.

Obama has the potential to be an excellent leader over the next four years, as long as he recognizes gridlock and animosity between parties as the main problem with the bipartisan system. It isn’t fundamentally flawed — it just needs fixing.

1. Emily
    Emily says:

Let’s not pretend the slander didn’t swing both ways, or that Barrack didn’t avoid the issues. He takes credit for killing Osama, but he’s not responsible in any way for Benghazi? Really? (Throw Hillary under the bus for that one but take credit for Bid Laden)? Wow. You are right Elena, I hope that after 4 years he starts to prove himself – and soon. And that the debt doesn’t increase another 5 trillion during this next term. I’m not religious but I will start praying for him and this country.

I wasn’t excited either, and certainly not relieved. Mitt Romney was not a good choice by the Republican party. He likely would have been a good president, as good as Obama anyway, and at least not left us with another 5 trillion in debt in 2016. We are still in college and our first unborn children (each) owe $50,000 as I write this. We may be okay, maybe, but what about their kids?

To the Dems credit, the Republican party needs to realize that we want government in our lives as a safety net, but we don’t need them to tell us what to do with our bodies, what to smoke or not smoke, or whom to marry. Why don’t they get that?

I agree, millionaires and billionaires can pay more, but that isn’t going to be enough. Until spending (and rampant waste) is under control, it doesn’t matter. What has Obama said about out of control spending? Can you write a column on that? I would LOVE to read it. Please – address the dept and spending in a column.

Back to the GOP…Paul Ryan? The Republican party hasn’t learned anything in four years after the McCain/Palin debacle. Rick Santorum? What’s amazing is that Republican leaders don’t get that they should run from him like the plague. Even Mitt knew that – hence Palin’s and Santorum’s absence during this run.

Chris Christie, standing next to BO, after hurricane Sandy – THAT is a ticket for this nation. Or how about Christie/Clinton 2016? Like marriage equality, hopefully this will be the future. The Rick Santorums will have no more place in history than bigots and the KKK. Hillary is smart, experienced, and saavy, and her ego is in check. She’s been schlepping in Pakistan, Isreal, Afghanistan, a role model for ANYONE. (While Barrack has been campaigning on AF1 and hanging out with David Letterman and the rest of the talk show circuit). Oh and Vegas during the attack on the embassy? Actually I’m just making a point. Yes he’s done SOMETHING for health care. But had George W been in VEGAS AFTER THE BENGHAZI ATTACK …..6 trillion added to the deficit? 5 million jobs created – but 5.2 million lost?

Democrat or Republican, don’t forget – both sides have valid platforms and that is what we all want, isn’t it? Journalists try harder than most to report both sides, but a majority are unprofessional and can’t hide their bias and loose credibility.

2. William Buttrey
    William Buttrey says:

I think what is most guilty in poisoning the well of political discourse is a media that fails to disseminate facts, choosing instead to taking an active role promoting spin in service of a particular agenda. Stating both sides do it merely masks the rot.

As observed by Daniel Patrick Moynihan – “You are entitled to your own opinion, but you are not entitled to your own facts.”

A campaign insisting that, “We’re not going to let our campaign be dictated by fact checkers” shows a new level of contempt for the electorate, further enabled by a complicit media.