DPS suspects loud noise to be vandalism

A possible shooting occurred Sunday at 1155 W. 24th St., though the incident appears to be an act of vandalism with a bb gun or a rock, said Dept. of Public Safety Capt. David Carlisle.

The report of the shooting occurred at 7 p.m. by a USC graduate student who lived in the house. The graduate student, who was unidentified, was the only person to report the incident, which led DPS to believe that a large shooting did not occur.

“The person reporting the shooting said they heard a large crack,” Carlisle said. “They said that something pierced their window and thought it was a gunshot. No one else around the area heard it though.”

Though the Los Angeles Police Department monitors incidents that are reported to DPS, because the incident was contained, only DPS officers, along with the DPS watch commander, went to the scene, according to Carlisle.

Though the incident was minor, DPS issued a Trojans Alert to the University Park Campus student body at approximately 7:27 p.m. that urged students to remain away from the area. DPS officials sent an incident resolution email was sent out at 7:39 p.m. to students.

“We wanted to send out the [Trojans] Alert just in case it caused danger to any students,” Carlisle said. “But, luckily, the incident was quickly resolved and no one was injured.”

DPS will handle the investigation.