Filmmakers attend building dedication

USC School of Cinematic Arts students, notable alumni and supporters graced the red carpet Tuesday at the dedication of the School of Cinematic Arts’ newest facility, the Sumner M. Redstone Production Building.

Film leaders · Dean Elizabeth M. Daley, Steven Spielberg, Frank Price, George Lucas, C. L. Max Nikias and Sumner Redstone pose.  - Ralf Cheung | Daily Trojan

Film leaders · Dean Elizabeth M. Daley, Steven Spielberg, Frank Price, George Lucas, C. L. Max Nikias and Sumner Redstone pose. – Ralf Cheung | Daily Trojan

The building, made possible by Redstone’s $10 million donation, houses 2,600 square feet of production space. Among those to walk the red carpet were alumni George Lucas, Steven Spielberg and Lisa Ling.

Dean of the School of Cinematic Arts Elizabeth Daley highlighted the many opportunities that lie ahead for students.

“Nearly 1,000 students will learn how to produce, to work together, to fight together,” Daley said. “They will create their own brand of magic within these walls.”

To help students hone their production skills, the new facility is equipped with the latest technology, including state-of-the-art production equipment, lighting systems and sound equipment.

William Yelton, a freshman majoring in film and television production, said the event attendees showed how prestigious the school of Cinematic Arts is.

“I actually met George Lucas and had a chance to shake his hand. I pinch myself every day that I go to a school where I can attend events like this, work at amazing facilities like this and shake hands with the people who formed my childhood dreams.”

President C. L. Max Nikias expressed excitement for the role the new facility will play in the university’s future.

“This building is an important cornerstone of the University of Southern California’s School of Cinematic Arts,” Nikias said. “This is where our students’ creative ideas will find a place in the real world. This building will be a critical front in the battle for fresh storytelling. With the dedication of this building, Redstone has made his mark on the University of Southern California.”

Redstone, who donated $24 million to the Keck School of Medicine in 2010, is no stranger to Trojan philanthropy.

“Sumner has far exceeded anyone’s expectations for contributing to the Trojan community,” Spielberg said.

Redstone is the executive chairman and founder of Viacom Inc. and CBS Corporation.