Interscope chairman to deliver commencement speech

The 2013 commencement address will be delivered by Jimmy Iovine, the chairman of Universal Music Group’s Interscope-Geffen-A&M Records unit and co-founder of the Beats By Dr. Dre.

Iovine began his four-decade career in the music industry when he was a teenager. Early in his career he worked with John Lennon and Bruce Springsteen.

Interscope, which he co-founded in 1990, primarily deals with hip-hop, pop, rock and urban performers. The record label merged with Geffen Records and A&M Records in 1999. Artists that have signed with Interscope include Dr. Dre, Marilyn Manson, Kendrick Lamar and Azealia Banks.

Iovine also co-produced the 2002 movie 8 Mile, which starred the rapper Eminem. He was and the executive producer for LeBron James’ 2008 documentary More Than A Game.

In 2006, Iovine and hip-hop producer Dr. Dre created Beats, a high-performance headphone and sound transmission company. The company markets Beats headphones as while as speakers and earphones.

Currently, Iovine serves as a mentor on Fox’s American Idol. He uses his expertise and experience of the industry to guide the show’s contestants in their weekly musical challenges. Successful Idol contestants, such as Scotty McCreery and Phillip Phillips, now release their music through Interscope.

Last year, Christiane Amanpour, the chief international correspondent for CNN, spoke at the commencement ceremony and in past years former USC President Steven B. Sample, former California Gov. Arnold Schwarzenegger, astronaut Neil Armstrong and comedian Bill Cosby have delivered the speech.

The commencement ceremony will take place on May 17. Honorary degree recipients have not yet been announced.