University opens office in Brazil

A USC delegation of deans and trustees led by President C. L. Max Nikias traveled Monday to São Paulo, where USC will open its eighth international office according to USC News.

The delegation includes Dean of the Price School of Public Policy Jack H. Knott, Dean of the Marshall School of Business James G. Ellis, Dean of the School of Cinematic Arts Elizabeth M. Daley and Dean of the Viterbi School of Engineering. Yannis C. Yortsos. The delegation also includes trustees Frank H. Cruz, Edward P. Roski Jr., David H. Dornsife and John Mork.

The new office will work to recruit students from the country, provide programs for prospective students studying in Brazil and facilitate collaborations between the university and Brazilian researchers.

“The University of Southern California community is eager to build even stronger ties with Brazil, and to lay a solid foundation for long-standing, mutually-beneficial collaborations,” Nikias said in a statement. “Brazil will play a particularly vital role in these partnerships, given its strategic location in the Pacific Rim, and USC’s ambition to attract the world’s most talented and creative students.”

The University of São Paulo signed an agreement with the Metropolitan Development Secretary of the State of São Paulo and the Price school, in addition to an agreement to participate in the iPodia Alliance, a Viterbi school international consortium.

USC currently has a partnership with Fundação Getulio Vargas, a private Brazilian university, and participates in the Brazil Scientific Mobility Program, which provides Brazilian students with scholarships to study at USC for one year.

While in Brazil, the delegates will meet numerous members of the Brazilian government, including the chief secretary of São Paulo, the president of the University of São Paulo and the president of the São Paulo Research Foundation. They will also meet with the Secretaries of Economic Development, Metropolitan Development and Science and Technology.

USC also has international offices in Beijing, Hong Kong, Mexico City, Mumbai, Seoul, Shanghai and Taipei.

1. Steve
    Steve says:

How many gender neutral restrooms could have been constructed with the Nikias’ all expense paid junket to Brazil. You should be ashamed!