Grad programs ranked top 10 in US News report

Many of USC’s graduate schools have the most prominent academic schools and programs in their field, according to the U.S. News & World Report’s 2014 ranking, released Tuesday.

Several USC schools and programs were ranked among the top-10 schools. The report ranks both individual programs and schools nationally.

Both the Division of Biokinesiology and Physical Therapy and the Division of Occupational Science and Occupational Therapy held onto their No. 1 rankings. The Division of Biokinesology and Physical Therapy has held this spot since 2004. The Division of Occupational Science and Occupational Therapy has been No. 1 for 11 of the last 15 years.

Christina Ellis | Daily Trojan

Christina Ellis | Daily Trojan

The university’s medical programs were also recognized. The School of Pharmacy was ranked No. 10 and the Keck School of Medicine jumped up three places to No. 31.

The Price School of Public Policy received a No. 6 ranking among other schools with programs focused on public affairs. The Viterbi School of Engineering was ranked at No. 9.

Four additional graduate schools also made the report’s top 20: the School of Social Work at No. 11, the Rossier School of Education at No. 17, the Gould School of Law at No. 18 and the Viterbi’s Department of Computer Science Ph.D. program at No. 20.

USC also ranked in programs including earth sciences, business, fine arts, English literature, psychology, biological sciences and economics.

Though The Hollywood Reporter ranked the School of Cinematic Arts as No. 1 among other film schools in the country in 2012, the U.S. News & World Report ranking did not evaluate the school.

The report annually evaluates graduate programs in only business, law, medicine, engineering and education. This year, the report began ranking social sciences and humanities and library and information studies graduate programs, according to U.S. News & World Report.

Admission selectivity, job-placement statistics and expert opinions on the program are weighed into the decision ranking. More than 1,200 programs and nearly 15,000 academics and professionals were surveyed for the data during fall 2012 and early 2013.

1. Eduardo Molina
    Eduardo Molina says:

The numbers you have generated for some of the rankings might be a little misleading. U.S. News updates the rankings every year for some schools and divisions; but not all of them.
    The numbers for Biokinesiology, Occupational Therapy, Pharmacy, and Social Work reflect the rankings for 2012(information collected in 2011) so we are talking about old data. U.S. News publishes the data but explains in the methodology section that they are using old numbers. I think it is very important to share that information with your readers.
    Eduardo Molina
    Director, Office of Institutional Research