SoCal shines brighter in the spring, so dress accordingly

Sometime during the past week, between recovering from a crazy spring break and catching up on work pushed aside, I looked out my window and saw it.

Spring.

Though we live in the land of no seasons, the past few months have been filled with rainy days and frigid nights. And though my friends back on the East Coast told me to “Shut the f-ck up”considering they walked to class feet deep in snow, I couldn’t help but long for a day when the sun would come out and stay out. A day in which I could wear something other than jeans and boots. A day in which a sweatshirt and a jacket weren’t required to get through the day.

And now it’s here. Ah, spring! Oh, how I’ve missed you. Layering has gone out the window and I plan on finally getting the chance to wear brightly colored skirts and dresses that have gone ignored in my closet for the past few months. Gladiator sandals will be pulled out from under the bed and sunglasses will now have a prime spot on my desk.

Many often brag about Southern California’s beautiful and sunny weather. But despite our many warm winter days, that does not excuse wearing clothes intended for a different season.

Trust me, there’s nothing worse than a person rocking an out-of-season outfit. No matter how warm it was, it was still winter and certain colors, fabrics and patterns were completely off limits.

So what’s OK and what’s off limits to wear now that spring is in session? Don’t get stuck in a winter rut — it’s time to break down what you need for a spring renewal.

Wear your hat well

As much teasing as I get for wearing it, there’s nothing like a good ol’ beanie to cover a bad hair day and keep you toasty. Unfortunately, however, the days of rocking your beanie are over. It’s spring now, people. It’s too warm to pretend like you’re alternative enough to rock a beanie to that Menlo party. Forgoing a beanie will also probably protect you from the kind of vicious jokes that often get thrown my way when I wear my ’SC fleece one.

What to do instead? Try finding a small-brimmed fedora or even an assortment of headbands or headscarves to wear on a bad hair day. A fedora will protect your face from the sun (take that, UV rays!), and scarves are definitely making a comeback. A colorful head accessory will certainly brighten up any outfit as well as disguise your hair that looks like it recently underwent an attack.

It’s all in the pattern

You were so excited when you picked up those floral jeans on sale at the end of the summer. But then you realized that you probably couldn’t get a good wear out of them until spring.

Have no fear, the season is here.

Florals and polka dots are definitely hot right now so make sure you have at least one pair of patterned jeans to funk up any classic T-shirt. Slim ankle cuts are in for girls while a simple boot-cut patterned pant is more than sufficient for the men out there.

In terms of color, think bright. Electric blues, radiant pinks and vivid yellows are all great options. And remember: If it’ll make you look like a depressed NYU student (basically all NYU students), don’t wear or buy it. Spring is a time for colors, light fabrics and patterns that say “Hello world!” Leave the black and gray business at home — that’s what winter is for.

Get the clunkers out

Yes, combat boots are adorable and comfortable yet cool at the same time, but it’s time to start transitioning out your winter shoes for something that doesn’t say “Berlin Wall.” Snatch up a pair of gladiator sandals or Havaianas. Boys can easily invest in a pair of light-colored Chuck Taylors. (Nothing’s more attractive than a guy in well-fitting jeans and Converse.)

So no more Uggs, no more boots and no more awkward loafers. Think clean, think fresh, think less clunky. If it’s something you’d wear to keep the snow off of your feet, then it’s not a good option for spring.

A lot of pieces can be used to transition between seasons. For example, a white T-shirt has no limits any time of the year. But it’s important to remember that fashion is constantly evolving, constantly looking toward the future — after all, why do you think there are new collections every few months?

Growing up, my mother used to tell me that my velvet dress was out of season when I tried to rock it during the summer. At the time, I ignored her, but after a few years I finally understood.

Every item of clothing, after all, has its place in the season, in your closet and in your heart.

Sheridan Watson is a junior majoring in Critical Studies. Her column “A Stitch In Time” runs Tuesdays.

1. bob
    bob says:

“Many often brag about Southern California’s beautiful and sunny weather. But despite our many warm winter days, that does not excuse wearing clothes intended for a different season. Trust me, there’s nothing worse than a person rocking an out-of-season outfit. No matter how warm it was, it was still winter and certain colors, fabrics and patterns were completely off limits.”

Could the DT get any shallower?