Adam Landecker collects another postseason award

It was not a banner year by any means for the USC baseball team, but one Trojan stood above the rest of the competition to earn First Team All-West Region honors for the 2013 season. Senior second baseman Adam Landecker was the bright spot on the 20-36 ballclub, putting up stellar numbers to close out his collegiate career.

Landecker, who hails from Calabasas High School in California, has been a cornerstone of the baseball program since his freshman season in 2010, playing in just one fewer game that year than in his 51-game campaign in his senior season.

Offensively, Landecker led the charge for the Trojans and was one of the best in the Pac-12 as well. His .351 batting average was enough to lead the USC lineup, and was the  second-highest mark in the Pac-12. The last time a Trojan batted over .350 was back in Landecker’s freshman season, when former teammate Ricky Oropesa hit .353. Landecker also drove in 25 runs, hit 18 doubles, one triple and two home runs in the year.

Landecker was just as impressive on the defensive side of things, using a slick glove and an accurate arm on his way to a .981 fielding percentage. His consistent presence at second base was critical for the right side of the Trojan infield, which went through a revolving door at first base for part of the season. With his performance in 2013, Landecker’s career fielding percentage improved to .968, a percentage he earned at multiple positions.

Landecker was selected by the Pittsburgh Pirates in the 21st round of the 2013 MLB first-year player draft, and is currently playing for the Gulf Coast Pirates, Pittsburgh’s rookie-ball affiliate. Landecker went 2-5 with a double, a triple and an RBI in his first game with Gulf Coast.

Over his 191-game Trojan career, Landecker posted a .311 batting average. Though primarily a table-setter, he drove in 68 runs in his collegiate career. His final Trojan stats include 30 doubles, 5 triples, three home runs and a solid on-base percentage of .394.

Landecker also received All-Pac-12 honorable mention honors for the 2013 season. He was also one of eight Pac-12 players to be named to the All-West Region first team.

1. Steve B.
    Steve B. says:

You got that right. Not a banner year by the far reaches of the universe. Congrats to Landecker who the team
    could have used five or six more of his play at bat and in the field. Now that the school from across town has
    won the national title what is Haden waiting for in finding a new head coach to get this program back to at
    least respectability. It has become a disgrace since 2006 with the help of former AD Mike Garrett and presently
    chair of the Athletic Dept. Patrick Haden .