New sorority to begin recruitment

On Jan. 13, 1923, Alpha Gamma Delta first planted its roots at USC. Now, after a 30-year hiatus following its decision to disband, the sorority will move back to W. 28th Street come fall semester.

Renovation · The new Alpha Gamma Delta house on The Row is under construction. AGD will begin hosting meetings there in the spring. - Ralf Cheung | Daily Trojan

Renovation · The new Alpha Gamma Delta house on The Row is under construction. AGD will begin hosting meetings there in the spring. – Ralf Cheung | Daily Trojan

Though the sorority was forced to close its doors three decades ago due to low membership, both USC’s Panhellenic Council and AGD’s National Directors said they have high hopes for the new house.

“As [AGD] come[s] home to USC, the women who join Alpha Gamma Delta at USC this fall will have the unique experience of simultaneously getting to be a part of a long and significant history for both USC and Alpha Gamma Delta, while also getting to establish what Alpha Gamma Delta at USC will be known for in the years to come,” Annie Raeder, assistant director of fraternity services, at AGD’s national headquarter, said..

Roxie Friberg, the president of the PHC for the upcoming year, said she is excited for the return of AGD, as it will provide girls with an opportunity to become leaders in Greek life.

“This year is especially unique for new members [of USC Greek life],” Friberg said. “Girls can become founding members [of AGD], which is a wonderful leadership experience.”

Because the sorority has a history at USC, it will be able to incorporate its alumni into its recruitment efforts and on-campus events.

“Throughout the year, our alumnae and collegiate members will come together for events like football games, parents weekends, Town and Gown, the Greek Gala and several other campus traditions,” Raeder said.

Since there hasn’t been a new sorority chapter established on campus since Sigma Delta Tau in 2007, welcoming AGD onto The Row will be a somewhat new experience for the Greek community.

To help acclimate AGD into both the Greek and USC communities, Friberg is helping the sorority reserve classrooms for meetings and connect with campus organizations.

“We [the PHC] are placing a strong emphasis on growing our community while developing lasting relationships with student organizations and the campus administration, in order to be more directly involved with the school,” Friberg said.

Though Alpha Gamma Delta will not be participating in formal recruitment this fall, they will hold informal recruitment events after formal recruitment has concluded.

“Ultimately, [the return of AGD] means even more options for USC women who choose to go Greek,” said Kimberly Barnhill, vice president of communications on the Panhellenic Council. “It also means more opportunities for USC women to explore Greek life outside of the formal recruitment process this year, as Alpha Gamma Delta will begin its recruitment process after formal recruitment has ended.”

The sorority is planning on switching to formal recruitment next fall.

“During their first year, [AGD] will be observing the [Greek] community and the interaction we have with the campus so they can become fully integrated by the following year with a formal recruitment process,” Friberg said.

AGD is eagerly anticipating their return to USC.  The girls already in AGD believe the sorority won’t just benefit members, but also the community around campus.

“The way we describe it in Alpha Gamma Delta is that we ‘Live with Purpose,’” Raeder said. “Our members will strive to be the best versions of themselves and seek to make positive impacts in the community. And we are so excited to get to do that here as part of the Trojan Family.”

AGD’s house on The Row, located on 729 W. 28th St., is currently undergoing renovations. According to Raeder, the house will be inhabitable in fall 2014, and sorority meetings will be held there starting in the spring of 2014.

Informational meetings for potential members begin on Sept. 3, but most informal recruitment activities will happen during the beginning of October. Bid Day, celebrating new members, will take place on Oct. 13.

Follow Daily Trojan on Twitter @dailytrojan

1. Marla Allen
    Marla Allen says:

Not 30 years ago! Way to make me feel old. Try 27. I was the last and only pledge in the final pledge class of 1986.

2. AGD alumna
    AGD alumna says:

The Alpha Gamma Delta house closed at the end of the 1986 fall semester, so that was not 30 years ago but less than 27. Let’s not age us all more than necessary. ;)

Good luck to the revived chapter!