Kennard takes home honor after strong performance

USC senior defensive end Devon Kennard was named the Lott IMPACT Player of the Week on Monday for his outstanding play in the team’s 30-13 victory over Hawai’i to open the 2013 season.

In a game that the Trojan defense dominated, Kennard recorded three tackles, including two tackles for loss and one sack, two pass breakups and one quarterback hurry.

The Lott IMPACT Trophy is awarded to a defensive college player at the end of the year to the player who displays the best personal character and athletic performance.

Before the season began, Kennard was named to the Lott Trophy Award watch list.

Kennard is a fifth-year senior who was sidelined all of last season because of a torn pectoral muscle injury.

The 6-foot-3, 255-pound Kennard started his career at USC as a defensive end but was moved to outside linebacker at the end of his freshman year. In his sophomore season, he was shifted again to middle linebacker, then moved back to defensive end his junior year.

Now, Kennard plays in a sort of defensive end/outside linebacker hybrid spot that better suits his skill set.

Kennard was voted to be one of the team captains for this season along with Hayes Pullard, Marcus Martin and Marqise Lee.

The Lott IMPACT Trophy was named in honor of Ronnie Lott — a two time All-American who played for the USC Trojans. Lott went on to win four Super Bowl rings with the San Francisco 49ers, 10 trips to the Pro Bowl and a spot in the Pro Football Hall of Fame.