Apple can move on by looking to the past

Let me start by saying this: Apple is not going under.

Even though Apple’s stocks are nearly half what they were worth just a year ago, let’s not forget that earlier this year, Apple disclosed that it currently has $137.1 billion in cash. That’s certainly not chump change.

But it’s still hard to think that all is well with the Cupertino-based company.

My loyalty to Apple was put to the ultimate test after the 2013 World Wide Developers Conference (WWDC) in June.

I wasn’t there in person, but as I sat at my computer going back and forth between rapid-fire tweet and live stream, the mixed reactions that the keynote was generating were all too palpable.

The name that was revealed for Apple’s newest operating system, Mavericks, came completely out-of-the-blue. Mavericks, the name of a surf city in California, is the first of a new line of California-inspired OS names.

It seemed silly then, and though the name change came off as a joke, it was more likely done because 1) Apple had run through its list of OS cats and/or 2) Apple is desperately trying to be hip again.

The other, bigger update that was unveiled at WWDC, of course, was iOS 7. Joining the flat design bandwagon, designer Jony Ives introduced one of the most “unique” updates for iPhones yet. With its neon color palette and obnoxiously bold native apps, the announcement of iOS 7 was certainly unforgettable.

Not everything showcased during that keynote was terrible, of course. In fact, features such as tagging files within Mavericks OSX and a newly extended battery life among other updates were impressive. Let’s not forget the reveal of the sleek, cylindrical Mac Pro.

Fast forward to Sept. 10.

Tim Cook took the stage wearing a black collared shirt — a possible homage to the late Steve Jobs — and began with the usual Apple spiel. Numbers, accomplishments, more numbers. The first big announcement — the iPhone 5C — was nothing revolutionary, thanks to photos that had leaked weeks earlier.

Designed by — who else — Ives, the iPhone 5C is just as bright and colorful as the iOS 7 icons. These phones, made out of plastic instead of the usual glass and aluminum combo, will start at $99. Just because the iPhone 5C is cheaper, however, doesn’t mean that Apple had to make these phones look the part.

Later in the event, the iPhone 5S was introduced, coming in gold, silver and space gray — targeting what looks to be a completely different audience.

For a brief conference, the announcement of these two phones was a lot to take in. And though they’re different, and strange, in true Apple form, great specs were listed, including a brand new 64-bit processor for the iPhone 5S. And yes, Touch ID — Apple’s tech for fingerprint scanning, storing and deciphering — became official.

Despite my criticisms, it’s hard not to get giddy about these grand events Apple puts on. Even though Apple has been the butt of innovation jokes for a while now, Apple is still getting as much press as it did when Jobs was at the helm of the company. And though not all their products  are perfect, Apple always finds a way to wow people, be it through significantly improved features such as battery life or something as cool as Touch ID.

Apple’s original charm, however, has definitely started to vanish. Skeumorphism — i.e. mimicry in design, such as the game center’s green “velvet” background — on iOS 6 didn’t look too shabby. Yes, in a way it did look a bit old-fashioned, especially compared to Google +’s sexy flat interface. And yes, the pressure to innovate becomes even greater with each press and developer conference.

But instead of phones for the time being, why not focus again on its already successful innovations? To date, Apple has sold more than 200 million Macs. Why not think up a new laptop to introduce to the market? And even though all other Apple products have outsold Apple TVs, there’s a lot of untapped potential here as well, especially as we transition to the next generation of Internet television.

Though I’ve never been a die-hard fan, I miss the old Apple. I get that Apple is trying to reinvent itself. But every time I see something that’s so uncharacteristically Apple, such as colorful iPhones, I can’t help but wince a little.

Every now and then, I see bits and pieces of the Apple I used to know. The website, for instance, is as flawless as it’s ever been. One of the better examples of e-commerce, the Apple website combines simple and effective copy and pristine graphics to create an effortless user shopping experience.

Branding is still a strong point, too. Remember the Apple 1 computer that sold for nearly $400,000 at an auction? That’s the magic of Apple.

Innovation won’t get any easier from here on out. As markets start carving their own niches and as more and more phone companies get in on the profits, Apple will need to do all that it can if it wants to remain a leader in phones and computers.

As much as I’d like to recommend that Apple go back to basics and as much as I dislike some of the newer products that are coming out, halting innovation would not be a good idea. Apple has always been innovating, ever since the days when Steve Jobs and Steve Wozniak (and Ronald Wayne, to some extent) started toiling away in Jobs’ garage.

So continue innovating, Apple. Some kinks still need to be worked out, but a much-needed winner is on the way.

Just don’t expect me to switch over to iOS 7 any time soon.

Sara Clayton is a junior majoring in public relations. Her column “Tech Today” runs on Tuesdays.

Follow her on Twitter @saraclay15
  1. Swann
    Swann says:

I’d have to disagree with you on your claim that colorful iPhones are not reminiscent of the “old Apple.” iMac, the computer that began the Apple wave of the last decade or more started with a number of different colors. In fact, Apple’s logo was a rainbow-filled version of the current logo until 1998 (when the iMac was first introduced in multiple colors). I would venture to say, instead, that the “new Apple” came to be in the early 2000s, and this new colorful iPhone harkens back to the “old Apple.”