Cloud Control to rock Los Angeles

Deep in the Blue Mountains of Australia, the four-piece alternative band Cloud Control was formed in 2007. Seven years and two albums later, Cloud Control is ready to take on the United States with their latest tour in promotion of their recently released LP, Dream Cave.

Made in Australia · Cloud Control, known only as an opening act in the past, is now breaking out on its own tour for the first time. - Photo courtesy of Cloud Control

Made in Australia · Cloud Control, known only as an opening act in the past, is now breaking out on its own tour for the first time. – Photo courtesy of Cloud Control

Though the album Dream Cave was created while the band nestled into the countryside of England for some creative sessions, the album’s sounds have worldly influence, successfully creating a sonic blend that is uniquely its own. West Coast harmonies overlie the dreamy whirl of today’s European electronica and a past generation’s psychedelic rock — strongly justifying the album title Dream Cave.

Cloud Control has been successful enough to open for bands including Arcade Fire, Vampire Weekend and Weezer, among others. The band is now following in the footsteps of these bands and headlining its own American tour, hoping to reach the success seen by the bands it once opened for.

Though just a few dates in, lead singer Jeremy Kelshaw is loving the energy and feedback the band has received so far while promoting its latest album in North America, particularly noting the full house of fans who came out to the show in Chicago the previous day.

“The last European tour, there were two girls who didn’t know each other before and became friends during the show. Afterwards, we took the night off to hang out with them, even having lunch the next day.” It’s that type of connection that Kelshaw loves about music — he isn’t looking to produce fans, but to make friends.

The four-piece band met only once to rehearse before embarking on their new tour.

“We had one rehearsal and we just sounded good,” Kelshaw said.

And though only one rehearsal for a cross-country tour would typically come across as a sign of being unprepared, the lack of necessary rehearsals for Cloud Control only proves their natural talent and cohesiveness as a band.

“There’s a lot of passion you will see that comes out in our performance,” Kelshaw said.

What Cloud Control doesn’t do is force songs into their live set that do not sound good in a live environment.

“We set out to perform songs that work in a live situation,” Kelshaw said. “If a track from the album doesn’t work, we’ll either find a different song to perform or tweak it to sound good in a live setting, which ends up making it fresh for all of us.”

Cloud Control will be performing just minutes away from USC’s campus this Wednesday, Jan. 22 at The Satellite. Tickets are on sale now for $10 at thesatellitela.com.