Bombay Bicycle Club

London-based band Bombay Bicycle Club released its fourth album So Long See You Tomorrow Monday on iTunes. This indie album flirts with multiple genres, not unlike the rest of the music produced by the rapidly-evolving band.

Design by Christina Ellis

Design by Christina Ellis

Bombay Bicycle Club, originally formed by 15-year-olds Jack Steadman, Jamie MacColl and Suren de Saram — now the lead singer, guitarist and drummer, respectively — got its first big break in 2006, when the band won Virgin Mobile’s “Road to V” contest. The contest gave the band the opening slot in the 2006 V Festival in Chelmsford, London.

The band quickly produced their first EP, titled The Boy I Used to Be, which was released in February of 2007 on its own record label and garnered the band much respect in London’s music scene. From there, the band continued its upward climb and has since gone on three headline tours and released three more albums, the most recent of which included the hit single “How Can You Swallow So Much Sleep.”

Throughout Bombay Bicycle Club’s career, as is exemplified on its latest album So Long, See You Tomorrow, the band has successfully avoided conforming to today’s boy band standard. Bombay Bicycle Club dipped its toes into genres ranging from folk to rock and everything in between while the band were getting their start, not honing their predominantly indie-rock style until 2011’s A Different Kind of Fix. It was A Different Kind of Fix that made it clear to audiences everywhere that Bombay Bicycle Club was marching to the beat of its own drum — and doing so with crowd-pleasing ease and skill. So Long, See You Tomorrow deftly and expertly combines Bollywood, Western, dance and indie music into a record further off the beaten path than the music world has seen in a very long time.

Steadman supposedly traveled to India, Tokyo, Holland and Turkey collecting inspiration for So Long, See you Tomorrow, and the international influence is prevalent, especially in songs such as “Carry Me,” “Feel” and “Overdone.” These three songs sound a little haphazard upon first listen, but the passion with which Steadman sings and with which they are presented make them easy to love.

“Overdone” is the perfect lead-in to the album. Its story is similar to Bombay Bicycle Club’s, beginning with a lovely, though tender and sedate, string-dominated intro. Then, like the band’s discography, it begins to pick up speed, rolling cheerfully into a lively tune with clear Bollywood influence, setting the pace for the rest of the album.

The second track and first duet, “It’s Alright Now,” combines a pulsing, dance-type rhythm with intense percussion and Lucy Rose’s sweet, innocent vocals to create a unique and alluring song. The edgy rhythm that de Saram creates on the drums starts out slowly and is almost intimidating before it rolls into an electronic and irresistible dance-worthy cadence.

Most songs on the 10-piece album are demure, not totally emotionless, but more concerned with style than evoking passion. “Luna,” however, utilizes the vocal forte of English up-and-coming singer Rae Morris to incorporate emotion and depth into a beautiful and poignant track.

“Home By Now” begins with yet another unusual mix of rhythms, managing to create a sound that is both sultry and playful using a frisky guitar part, subtle, yet powerful drums and the hint of a harp. The rest of the song brings together the familiar tinkling piano found in Bombay Bicycle Club’s older tunes and crisp, enunciated beats to create another multifaceted and unexpected song.

For a band known for its guitar-led songs, which have always been incredibly produced, “Eyes Off You” is an interesting, piano-led choice. Smack in the middle of the album, “Eyes Off You” serves as a melancholy damper placed on an otherwise upbeat record. The good intentions of the worldly influence and piano are there, but the track does not do the album justice.

So Long, See You Tomorrow uses Steadman’s impressive vocals to Bombay Bicycle Club’s advantage in a way they haven’t been used before. Along with plenty of international influence, the album tests the waters of yet another new genre for the band by creating a joyful, eclectic album that makes its listeners want to get up and dance.

So Long, See You Tomorrow is available as of Monday on iTunes.