Breaking: Gate 6 closed due to shooting-related injury

UPDATE, 12:40 p.m. Thursday: A man who drove onto USC’s campus Wednesday morning after being injured in a shooting south of campus died Wednesday night, authorities reported.

The man was identified as Adrian Dawson, 22,  and died Wednesday at about 8:30 p.m. at California Hospital Medical Center, according to Los Angeles County Coroner spokesman Ed Winter.

The shooting occurred near 57th and Vermont, about two miles south of campus, according to LAPD spokeswoman Wendy Reyes.

“The victim was in a vehicle and the driver drove to the area of Vermont and 36th and that’s where the paramedics were called,” Reyes said.

1:20 p.m. Tuesday: USC’s Gate 6 closed Wednesday morning after a man injured in an off-campus shooting drove to the entrance.

The shooting is considered non-USC related, according to DPS Capt. David Carlisle. LAPD Detective Mike Lorenz told the Daily Trojan that the shooting took place South of campus.

” … we aren’t sure if it was [a] car to car [shooting] for right now but we’re still interviewing witnesses,” Lorenz said. ” … apparently a vehicle came north that was involved in it and … the person that was in the car got hit several times and was transported to the hospital.”

A fifth Trojan Alert sent out to the USC community at 12:50 p.m. said the area had been cleared.

This post has been updated. 

Kate Guarino contributed to this report.