Weekends releases should topple ‘Divergent’s’ shaky dominance

The last weekend of March only comes with two major nationwide releases: Biblical epic Noah, featuring a star-studded cast led by Russell Crowe and Emma Watson, and Sabotage, featuring ex-governor Arnold Schwarzenegger in yet another action role. While both films should do well at the box office this weekend, expect Noah to claim the number one spot.

Noah is a reimagining of the Biblical story about a man who must make an ark before the great flood washes over the Earth. As can be expected of Biblical films, Noah was hit with waves of criticism from religious groups. Darren Aronofsky, who also directed Black Swan, maintains that it is not a perfect adaptation of the story and utilizes a lot of creative freedom. While the film did face some issues during the screening process, it has been generally well received by critics. The cast of Russell Crowe, Jennifer Connelly, Emma Watson and Anthony Hopkins, among others, should be enough to draw moviegoers.

Sabotage tells the tale of a team of DEA agents that successfully raids one of the world’s deadliest drug cartels. In a manner reminiscent of Agatha Christie’s And Then There Were None, the agents start to be killed one by one. While Schwarzenegger is an action icon and celebrity of the highest order, his last few films, such as Escape Plan and The Last Stand, have been major box office flops, grossing only $25.13M and $12.05M, respectively. To many moviegoers, he is no longer a relevant action star. While he still may be able to draw audiences, this film should only draw small audiences.

Last week’s frontrunner, Divergent, an adaptation of a young adult series that has drawn many comparisons to The Hunger Games franchise, didn’t have as successful as opening weekend and received mixed reviews. While it should remain at the higher end of the box office this weekend, expect it to be easily overtaken by Noah.