Tavai takes part in the NFLPA Collegiate Bowl

While many of his teammates already declared for the NFL draft, senior linebacker J.R. Tavai took one more opportunity to impress NFL scouts. Tavai played at the NFLPA Collegiate Bowl at the StubHub Center on Jan. 17.

The NFLPA Collegiate Bowl is an opportunity for players of all schools, as it joins them in one game to show scouts their potential. Tavai was the only Trojan to play in the game this year. Redshirt senior tight end Randall Telfer was invited to the event but was unable to play due to an injury during the Trojans’ Holiday Bowl victory over Nebraska. Telfer is rehabbing until pro day and the Combine.

Tavai’s name was announced several times for key tackles Saturday. He moved to outside linebacker in his junior year after playing on the line his first two seasons. Tavai finished out his last two years with 109 tackles, 21.5 for losses. He led the team in tackles for losses his senior season with 13.5.

Tavai said he felt good about the week and his NFL status.

“The whole process was great,” Tavai said. “I had a week of good practice. I learned a lot from new coaches. The whole NFLPA thing was an honor to play in. I had fun out here [and] got to meet some guys I played against. It has just been a great experience. I got to meet some scouts, too. The whole process was just tough. Overall, it was just a great experience and I’m thankful for the opportunity.”

Tavai demonstrated his versatility in the game, playing on the punt team and the defense.

“Overall, I think I did all right,” Tavai said. “I think I can work on some things.”

Playing and practicing multiple positions this week, Tavai emphasized one lesson he has learned throughout his time at USC.

“Overall, I just learned to adapt again. That’s something that I’m good at and that’s something that it takes to [be in] the NFL,” Tavai said.

Along with his power and relative quickness, scouts emphasized his will and motivation as his strengths. When Tavai was being recruited out of high school, Pete Caroll was the coach of the USC program at the time. Since then, three more head coaches have come and two have gone. Tavai felt the full force of the NCAA sanctions put on the school, and the reduction of scholarships has forced Tavai to use his skills at a variety of positions.

“In a program that was on probation for a little bit, we had different coaches, but I adapted, and I thought I had a successful career in college,” Tavai said. “Right now I’m gonna focus on the NFL, I’m gonna focus on the combine and pro day and I’m gonna go from there.”

Though USC has encountered adversity these past few years, the program may still be seen as beneficial when it comes to producing NFL players. Tavai sees the frequency of USC players to the NFL as an an advantage.

To make it to the NFL, Tavai will have to overcome his weaknesses, one of which scouts say is his history of injuries in college. He has had to sit out part of every year with injuries, including a hamstring strain, ankle sprain and broken foot. Nonetheless, Tavai believes his strengths outnumber his flaws.

“I’m not going to look at that, that way I guess,” Tavai said. “I have a lot more strengths than I do have weaknesses. I’m adaptive, I’m strong at the edge and I can set the edge. I’m very physical and if a team chooses me I’m gonna work hard to help them win a championship.”

Despite four losses in the 2014 season, two of which came when the team held a lead in the final minute, Tavai maintains that it was a successful season.

“It was a winning season,” Tavai said. “I’m glad I played with the band of brothers for one last game in San Diego. Opportunities come little, so the ones that come you have to take. The NFLPA game was a great opportunity just like the Holiday Bowl and I’m thankful for it.”

The Holiday Bowl may have been memorable for Tavai, but it was not his favorite moment of the season.

“[My favorite game of the season was] probably the Stanford game,” Tavai said. “I remember making a sack and just seeing everyone on the sideline jumping up for joy. That’s when I knew we had a good team and we could go from the stars from there. Unfortunately, we had some bumps and bruises at the end but that’s going to help the future.”

The moment Tavai is referring to is when he forced a fumble against Stanford in the final minute of the game to seal a key early season road victory. But as Tavai said, there were some struggles from that point until the end of the season. Despite these bumps and bruises, Tavai believes the future is bright at USC.

“Coach Sark’s gonna do a great job helping the team to work harder for a championship,” Tavai said. “Coach Sark came in with a new squad, new scheme, and he came in with aspirations for us. We definitely answered. We had fun. We had a group of guys that were new, some freshmen that came in and started. Overall, Sark was a great coach and is going to help that program a lot in the future.”