Snacking smart for midterms

Midterm week is full of mixed emotions. Most of us are probably crying over multiple midterms, inconvenient additional assignments and projects professors made due this week, and the fact that the only sleep we’re getting might be in Leavey. But at the same time Trojans, today is Wednesday which means you’ve almost made it through the week and that spring break is right around the corner!

At times like this, we may find ourselves slacking in terms of smart snacking. Here are some easy and brain fueling snacks that won’t take up too much of your studying time but will help you power through the rest of the day.

foodmidterm3

Photo courtesy of seriouseats.com

Grab-and-go snacks:

A handful of nuts. Nuts require no preparation and are easy to grab when you’re trying to make it to your study session on time. The salty snack will give you a quick energy boost and the fiber and protein will keep you from getting hungry again five minutes into studying.

A handful of berries. Berries are full of antioxidants and vitamins that help increase blood flow which can improve mental performance.

String cheese. A stick of cheese can provide you with a bit of calcium and protein. It’s easy to grab on your way out or easy to pick up in the bookstore and only comes in around 60 calories.

Photo courtesy of flickr.com

Photo courtesy of flickr.com

Light Prep snacks:

Veggies and hummus. With everyone in hectic study modes, we may forget to consume essential healthy foods, especially our vegetables. Dipping some carrots, cucumbers, peppers, etc. in a bit of hummus will give you both a bit of energy and protein to keep you focused.

Greek Yogurt Parfait. Greek yogurt has a ton of probiotics, calcium, and protein which help to curb hunger. Paired with your favorite fruit and low-fat granola, you’ll get an extra energy boost. Parfaits can be found around campus in places like Seeds, but they can be a bit pricey and some may be a bit high in calories.

Apples with almond butter. This mix of vitamins, potassium, fiber, and protein will fill you up and give you studying stamina. Peanut butter is an easy alternative, but it usually contains more sugar, fat, and salt.

Photo courtesy of flickr.com

Photo courtesy of flickr.com

Drinks:

Water. Water is one of the simplest yet most important parts of our diet. A glass of water can help improve circulation, reduce headaches, keep us from overheating, and keep us hydrated for the long haul at Leavey.

Green Tea. While most students can be seen around campus with a cup of coffee in their hands at all hours, I would suggest students give this herbal tea a try. Consuming green tea has multiple health benefits, but it also gives you just a bit of caffeine and won’t make you as jittery as coffee will.

Coffee. If you cannot give up your caffeine, try ordering a skinny latte or a non-fat cappuccino at Trojan Grounds instead of your usual Venti White Chocolate Mocha. A bit of caffeine may be essential to keeping you focused in the early morning hours at Leavey after spending the night, but added sugar and fat is not necessary nor beneficial to your already stressed body.

If you’ve got the time or want to be distracted from studying, feel free to test out some new studying snacks. Here’s a list of some great foods that will help get you through the week but might take longer to prep!

Good luck with your midterms and smart snacking!

Natalie Laczewski is a freshman majoring in communication. Her column, “Food for Thought,” runs Wednesdays.